Im after some info regarding using an old compressor as an air tank

1. luke123 Member

warrington
    I've got an old compressor that i would like to use a second air tank, it already has 2 shut of valves coming of the air pressure switch is it a case of plumb my existing outlet on working compressor via an airline into one of the air shut of valves and then use the second one to feed into my regulator on the wall?

Luke

2. northwest

northwest Member

In a nutshell, yes. You don't actually need an "in and out", even connecting to the same fitting would work but used correctly it can become a useful moisture trap too.

brightspark likes this.
  3. brightspark

brightspark Member

i dont need the extra capacity on my comp as its large but i use a secondary tank on the end of the line to the blast pot then through the water seperator on pot it works realy well and i have no problems with water

• DSCF1138.JPG
  4. luke123 Member

warrington
    So as soon as the secondary tank is full it should knock of at 150 psi but carry on filling the 1st tank up and shut off normally? and any over psi will come out of the pressure reliefs on the pressure switches any way? Sorry if it sounds a dumb question just iv'e never tried it before and just want to be safe while doing it haha :laughing:

5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

If it's filling both tanks at the same time won't the pressure balance out so the tanks fill at the same rate then cut off ? Are both cut off switches wired to the motor ?

6. northwest

northwest Member

There is only one switch as the tank is just a tank. It will be the same pressure throughout, the air has no idea where it is, just what pressure it is at.

James1979 and Pete. like this.
  7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

That's what I am saying, the air doesn't need to go through the second tank it could have one single pipe connected anywhere and still act as a reservoir and the control on the working compressor will do the job it's supposed to.

8. northwest

northwest Member

Yes, you have it.

9. premmington

premmington Member

+1 for the above. Correct - second tank only needs one pipe connected to it.

"You are just balancing the pressure of the two vessels" - best way I can describe it.

What you do need is - an isolating valve/drain point and a blow off valve for the tanks.

Advertisements