identing metal

1. kernowcam Member

South West uk
    Hello again
    Welding my land Rover bulkhead, the ready made panels are not shiny / rusty steel but a duller grey and well weathered . they were a bit rusty where left outside and water collected. . Doesn't look like fresh galvanised as it has patterns in my mind on it. When welded it has a plume of white smoke / residue on the back side of the weld.
    Little bit worried i am trying to poison myself with galvanised??
    Any thoughts
    ian

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

I've noticed steel sheets have started coming with some sort of plating that isn't galvanising (but I'm not sure what it is). I've seen the same white residue on the back of welds - it just wipes off.

I try to clean off any plating before welding - especially any galvanising. Whatever the stuff is it's bound to be a bad thing to breathe in. It's generally trickier to weld through plating as well.

3. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Guys, this isnt galvanised sheet, but it has an electro coating of zinc...
    the stuff is called 'Zintec' Made by Corus. (and probably other mills)

Worth while getting a mask for welding this stuff

4. kernowcam Member

South West uk
    ok .it certainly doesn't look like galv, but does look like zinc come to think of it. is is ok to weld through, does it give off bad fumes?

5. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Yes, its fine to weld through, it should not cause any problems, its main purpose is to protect the steel during storage and transit, and the fabricated products.

As i said above, get yourself a suitable disposable mask, for the sake of £3...!

Advertisements