I was recommended but it may be out me league

1. Martin870

Martin870 Member

a friend of mine has recommended me to his neighbour

He wants a double drive gate making but it’s goibg to need steel posts, the problem is I’ve been Lucky enough so far to be able to hang gates of posts that where previously there but this job is going to require 2

The issue I have is they want the post right at the very edge of their garden boundary so when I’m digging the hole out I might have to dig some of the public footpath out too. The have a nice drive which I don’t want to spoil

What are the chances of coming across underground services if I was to dig 2-3ft deep aswell?

I’m not sure if I should walk away from this job or just quote them really high to put them off using me?

The experence on the other hand would be useful !

2. R-D-R Forum Supporter

you could find services when we started digging our drive up the old gas pipe was only 12 in under and the water supply was less than that. had to replace both to get them deep enough for the new drive to go ontop :(

Martin870 likes this.
  3. Martin870

Martin870 Member

The areas highlighted are where he wants the posts, on the right he wants the concrete post removing and replacing with a steel post, I sudgested a bit of channel on the back side of the steel post to hold his wood fence in place, on the left he wants a post to sit where the corner block is on the block paving edging

Can’t say I’ve ever had to remove a concrete post that’s been concreted in either, I don’t think it’s going to be an easy task. 35101902-63B5-4013-8358-6FB8E92FFFF1.jpeg

4. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

No way your getting posts in and out without touching that drive.
    I'd recommend them a couple of foot of granite sets or blocks and cut the existing drive back for decent access to work.

5. Martin870

Martin870 Member

I think it’s block Work, what are the chances of finding block Work that colour, each batch is different isn’t it? Even so it’s aged so what ever I did it’s going to stand out

6. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    camouflage and a tight lip,just make it look as it was before;)

7. Martin870

Martin870 Member

I don’t know much about ground Work but is that drive (from the looks of the photo) red tarmac? Or resin...

8. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Tell him to get a builder or groundworker to put some posts in, then make your gates to suit.

mtt.tr, colnerov, addjunkie and 6 others like this.
  9. eLuSiVeMiTe

It's tarmac with pavers edging.
    Cut it back a foot and put granite sets in or match the blocks and have them over the threshold.
    Your gonna need room to dig the old post out and install new. Not gonna happen with that drive intact.
    What's the other side of the existing post.
    Looks like another drive

10. eLuSiVeMiTe

This

Make it someone else's problem.
    :)

Don't call me...

barking mat and Martin870 like this.
  11. Martin870

Martin870 Member

I couldn’t even put surface mounted posts in because the drive is not level, I’d still have to cut a section out to put a level concrete pad down

12. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    :clapping:

Martin870 likes this.
  13. Gritineye Forum Supporter

Sussex UK
    In this sort of situation you have to take charge, you're the professional, and he's an amateur with unrealistic expectaions, I would go with my instinct and walk.

Instinct is a powerful tool, ignore it at your peril..

14. Martin870

Martin870 Member

Yep another drive with another concrete post, it’s not in use but I can guarantee it’s all concreted together in one big blob

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  15. eLuSiVeMiTe

As grit above said. Sometimes it's best to walk away.

Martin870 likes this.
  16. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Why not get the neighbour to get a builder in to do the posts...that way you are only on the hook for the gate?

mrsbruce, Hopefuldave and Martin870 like this.
  17. Martin870

Martin870 Member

Yeah good idea, the fabrication side of it no issues at all but with very limited experence in setting steel post in concrete I don’t really want this to go tits up because it may put me off for good

18. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

Why not simply tell the client that they need to provide the holes ready for the posts, as you do not wish to deal with unforeseen utility or underground issues.

Turbo, mrsbruce, addjunkie and 2 others like this.
  19. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Definitely get a builder in for the posts....thats what I did with mine. A builder will be able to dig a good hole with vertical sides....my holes are like craters!

mrsbruce and Exuptoy like this.
  20. mechman Member

I've removed concrete gate posts before (think iceberg)

Advertisements