i really need help

1. ART-ADS Member

so I bought this wolf MIG 140 (most powerful I could find for a household socket here in the uk) and set it up, I didn't have any sheet metal or whatever but I had this old crank case off a 50cc pocket bike that had a flat surface so I gave it a go and it wasn't pretty

first of all the kit didn't come with any sort of welding chart so I was guessing the whole time, I tried slower speed, faster, more/less stickout, higher and lower power etc but I had no luck

as soon as I pulled the trigger it would pop, the wire would barely melt and more often than not it would cause the wire to melt to the gun itself damaging the bit I'm not sure what its called but the part that the end cone attaches to. I couldn't run any sort of bead at all it would just sputter everywhere.

its a gas/gasless and I'm pretty sure I had the gas on but it didn't seem like the most confidence inspiring regulator as you could unscrew it right off no problem.

I really need help to be honest

2. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

The crank case is alloy isn't it

hunter27 and johnik like this.
  3. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Are you using those disposable bottles?

4. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Have you looked at the tutorials srction for setting it up?.

And welcome to the forum.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. ART-ADS Member

true it likely is alloy, I'm going to pick up some steel next weekend to give a real good go at it

yes I'm using the disposable (I think) bottle that came with the welder

and I haven't looked at the tutorials bar chucke2009 on youtube but not for my specific welder and I couldn't find a chart for my welder either

6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

You can expect to get around 10 minutes welding before they run out, if you're lucky.

7. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

either go gasless if it is or get an account for gas its cheaper in the long run and learns you to weld far better

by 3 disposables and your at a refil price buy 9 and your at an account bottle price the difference 2 hrs but its longer compared to those disposable bottles

8. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

5% Argon mix gives a better weld compared to co2 from my experience just to let you know. Not sure if that's what your already using?

9. north Member

If it have six powersettings set it on Three...Take one 1mm sheetmetal and try to weld... With mixgas you begin with arond 5 in wirespeed setting,with co2 try with 3 and se what happens.. :drunk::drunk:

10. ART-ADS Member

thanks i'll pick up some steel and give it a whirl, I bought it for a chop project I'm in the middle off and there's a fair amount of fab work to be done, but I have plenty of time to actually learn how to weld before **Language** around with the bike. any tips where to get cheap metal and supplies for welding? and will my 140 mig be alright for 3-4 mm mild steel? its plugged in a uk household socket

11. bigfellayork

bigfellayork Member

He’s not a bad welder but his voice does my nut in.

12. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

get to know your local scrap man im sure for a price of a good amount of beer you will get all the metal yoiu need

Advertisements