I need a multimeter.

1. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Doesn’t need to be UKAS calibrated but I need something decent and recognised, like a fluke.

I know @Richard. Had a 117 which was a nice bit of kit but a lot of money, any other models worth looking at?

2. carbon

carbon Member

Brymen make some that are quite robust

MetalMonkey likes this.
  3. daleyd

daleyd Member

RS pro are worth a look, I think they changed to these from iso tech a few years back. I had an iso tech one and it was a really decent meter, and considerably cheaper than the equivalent fluke model.

pressbrake1, eLuSiVeMiTe and Brad93 like this.
  4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

On a side note it must have current measuring capability and have the option of plugging in a clamp meter.

5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

RS range is good.
    They do often have sales and the prices are reasonable for the kit.

If you don't mind old school AVO is very good.
    I use one, rarely for work to measure charging Amps.

6. sako243

sako243 Member

Brad the only thing that's nice with a Fluke over a £3 el cheapo is the probes. I picked up two Duratool D03124 multimeters (they have current measuring capability) from Farnell - one for dirty stuff on vehicles and a clean one for the lab. Bearing in mind my day job is electronics this does the job perfectly. For my use I'm considering getting a set of the nice sharp probes from Fluke so that it's easier to probe 0402 and 0201 components on PCBs (down to less than 0.5mm x 0.5mm components).

Given they're only a few quid (OK maybe £10 or £12) why not grab one and see whether it does the job? If it doesn't you can look into a more expensive tool made by Fluke etc. In my previous job we used 179s and they did most of what was required (um, measuring the odd voltage or two, or checking for shorts, everything else we used £20k oscilloscopes for so can't really comment!).

pressbrake1 likes this.
  7. Richard.

Richard. Member

Still got it mate. The 116 is a better one Brad imo especially for someone like yourself because you can fit a K type thermocouple to it and measure temperature which is really useful.
    Flukes are worth every penny of their price tag imo. Very well made and very durable instruments.

Anguz and brightspark like this.
  8. daleyd

daleyd Member

I’d agree that fluke is overkill for the average (Ie non professional) user, but I’d genuinely go for at least something resembling a reputable make, you don’t need to spend a fortune but I’d make sure it has at least met some safety standards.

I wouldn’t particularly relish the thought of plugging something made for less that the price of a kinder egg into a lethal voltage source, especially if your going to be using it for mains voltages. An unfused meter left on current measurement and inadvertently used to measure voltage (easily done) doesn’t bear thinking about.

J1nx and Richard. like this.
  9. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Yes will be used on three phase equipment, so 400V, dc equipment, relays etc, welding sets.

As you say Richard, K type thermocouple very useful.

10. Richard.

Richard. Member

Absolutely
    I’d sooner have the 116 over the 117 for that feature.

11. Richard.

Richard. Member

Get one with a light up display Brad if nothing else mate. It’s surprising how many don’t have this simple feature even some of the lower end flukes don’t.
    I’d say it was pretty essential especially if your testing lighting circuits.

12. brightspark

brightspark Member

apart from avo . robin and megger meters I have 2 fluke clamp meters and a q tec clamp as well

13. earthman Member

14. brightspark

brightspark Member

15. MetalMonkey Member

Brymen, good quality, well featured and safe meters without the fluke pricetag

16. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Just googled it and it looks like the 116 only does current up to six hundred microamps, the 117 has a separate 10A fused probe socket for proper current. The 87v and 179 do both current and temperature measurement but are around twice the price.

17. jack-daniels Member

Another vote for Brymen here!

18. J1nx

J1nx Member

I’m not trying to troll but that’s not fair advice. The guys going to be using it on 3ph, the fuse alone is worth more than 3 quid in the Fluke and for good reason, it will protect the user far more. The flukes better in many ways, I’d agree if you said it’s not good value as some cheaper models do offer as much but not the £3 quid jobbies!

iso-tech, now RS pro are decent, I have one, among many flukes, and it’s been great.

There is also the brand that Aussie fella on UTube raves about, that might be the Brymen mentioned above, he knows his stuff.

Richard. and daleyd like this.
  19. Robbie260 Member

Kew (a knick name they trade under cant remember thier actual name) usually green stuff is really good they are a subsiduary of fluke and are quite a bit cheaper. Only dissadvantage is they are a bit harder to comeby in the uk

20. Robbie260 Member

Country Joe likes this.
Advertisements