Hydrovane 5

1. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    Hi All,

I've been searching the forum for posts on these compressors and come up with some info but would like to know what is involved in connecting up a tripod mounted Hydrovane 5 to a 50 ltr receiver.

I have a Nutool 2 HP 50Ltr compressor that is too noisy so I've bought a Hydrovane 5 (single phase 1.1KW motor). The intention is to strip the pump and motor off the Nutool and mount the HV in it's place. Can I 'simply' take the air output from the HV into the receiver via the receivers 1 way valve and wire the HVs power into the receivers pressure switch? I've read elsewhere on the forum that the 'tripods' are limited to only 8 bar pressure, is it easy to increase this and is it worth it?

If a member could email me a copy of the service manual I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Steve.

2. GrahamGKD

GrahamGKD Forum Supporter

Bournemouth UK
  3. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    Hi Graham,

Thanks for the link, that's one of the threads that came up during a search I did. Did you buy a Hydrovane?

Hopefully I can find out more info to help connect mine to the tank.

Steve.

4. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    Haven't got one yet Steve - still looking. Missed another one on ebay earlier this week - went for £20 above my maximum bid. At the moment I'm focusing on raising the funds for a new one.
    Graham.

5. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    The one I bought cost an arm and a leg but I decided to bite the bullet, I've already got a small selection of air tools and a small blast cabinet so I splashed out. In the end I thought well if I paid £350 for a new compressor you wouldn't get much worth having and anything quiet seems to be very expensive and not that much airflow.

Steve.

6. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    Hope the conversion goes well. With luck Gary900r will see your post and help you out.
    Cheers,
    Graham.

george165 likes this.
  7. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    I've had a look through his postings for more info but it looks as if he hasn't posted since April.

Steve.

8. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    That's a shame Steve. I guess you could try a PM. I PM'ed him and he replied straight away but I just checked and that was back in April as well. Not sure what else to suggest - maybe someone else on here will be able to help?
    Graham.

9. tigler Expert on the trivial

As far as I know the pressure relief valve is in the back cover of the air end where the air intake filter is. This is preset at the factory at I think 7.5 bar. To increase the pressure you would have to replace the back cover with the high pressure version.

10. Gary900r Member

Gloucestershire.
    Hi Steve. Check what pressure the Hydrovane runs at. They used to come in two versions
    7bar and 10 bar. With the early ones they used a universal label on the machine and crossed out some data with a marker pen. This will have rubbed off by now leaving no real indication of which version it is. If your lucky it will be a 10bar version.
    What pressure was your Nutool unit. The safety valve on the tank may be lower rated than the Hydrovane will run at and my need to be changed.
    send me a email address and I can send a manual.

Hi Graham. The small Hydrovanes are going through a major redesign at the moment and new versions should be out later this year. At the moment we dont know if the prices are going up or down.

I haven't spent much time on here recently been to busy travelling over western europe sorting out some of our major compressor installations. Usually master controller faults on multi compressor installations with compressors ranging from 300 to 2000cfm.

11. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    Hi Gary,
    Interesting news - I wonder if there will be a good discount on the last of the old models when the new ones come out? I'm presuming the current HV02RM is still a quality piece of kit? I was sort of on the verge of forking out on a new one before any possibility of VAT going up with the budget next week but I guess it might be best to wait a while with that info?
    Graham.

12. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    Hi Gary.

Thanks for the info. The HV has a fully printed label that shows a tripod mount and a receiver mounted one with the numbers 7 & 10. I'll run it up tomorrow when the air filter should be dry and post what it says. I think the Nutool was 120 psi but I'll check tomorrow. I'll send a PM with my email details.

Thanks again.

Steve

13. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    The HV is a 7 bar type.

Steve.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  14. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    Hi,

The part I need to swap is the pressure control valve (part number 32270). Does anyone know where they can be ordered from?

Thanks.

Steve.

15. Gary900r Member

Gloucestershire.
    As well as the pressure control valve you should fit a new 10bar stator,shims and gaskets.
    If your Nutool was running at 120psi(8bar) then you would need to check to see if the receiver(tank) is rated with a 10bar working pressure. The receivers safety valve would also need to be changed if the receiver is suitable.
    I can get Hydrovane parts through work.
    Easiest option would be to connect Hydrovane as it is and adjust the pressure switch to stop the machine before the pcv operates, but depending on the pressure switch the pressure may need to drop quite low before the unit restarts.

16. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    Hi Gary.

Thanks for the info. I noticed about 30 mins ago whilst Reading the manual you sent me that it's not a just a valve that's needed. Maybe I should by a tank mounted one and sell the one I have. I don't know if this is a silly question but how does a 2.2 kw compare to a 1.1 kw. Are they much noiser? Am I right in thinking they turn out nearly double the CFM? Have you ever seen a 3 phase one run on an inverter?

Thanks.

Steve.

17. Gary900r Member

Gloucestershire.
    Hi Steve
    The 2.2kw have twice the air output(the motor runs at twice the speed) but the noise level is the same. A 1.1kw will run off a 13A plug bug the 2.2kw requires a 20A electrical supply(assuming we are talking about single phase(240v) versions).
    I normally work with industrial clients where inverters would not be considered but I do not know of any small hydrovanes that are run off inverters. The Hydrovane 5/15 range (now HV01/HV02) are available in both single and three phase versions. I belive that to run a 3phase version on a inverter you would need to oversize the inverter as Hydrovanes need 100% power input.
    I have seen some Hydrovanes run successfully off Rotary converters.
    If you look at Hydrovane literature you will see inverters mentioned but they are frequency inverters(speed) not phase converters.
    All tank versions are 10bar as standard.
    If you can find a 15/502/HV02 single phase tank mounted unit you would have a good industrial quality machine. I know of some that are from the first versions released that are still going strong.

Gary

18. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    Hi Gary,

I followed you advice and kept my eye out for a receiver mounted one. On Saturday I collected a 2.2KW single phase receiver mounted type (Hydrovane 15 it says on the head). All I need to do now is sort out the power to the garage.

I cleaned the air filter but intend to change it's oil before using it properly.

Thanks for your advice.

Steve.

19. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    i have the 3ph version of that and can't fault it

20. steelcityuk Member

Sheffield. UK.
    The guy I bought it off threw in a cooler unit too - I doubt I'll ever use it but it was a nice gesture. I just need to sell the 150 litre tank that I used with the Hydrovane 5, it's taking up a lot of room.

Steve.

Advertisements