Hydrovane 5, repairable pump?

1. bsjoling New Member

Hi
    After many years I finally aquired a hydrovane!
    But, it doesnt produce air.
    Pulling it apart revealed ripples in the eccentric main body where the vanes run...
    ok, so that could be machined out a few thou to get it smooth again, but!
    the ally end cap (part 75686) has been a little chewed by the ends of the vanes as well. Again, I could get this skimmed flat, and I guess I would have to shorten the body/vane-holder rotor as well as the vanes by the same amount.
    Before I embark on this rather costly excercise, I was wondering if any experts out there could give me a nod of approval or tell me straight that I'm way too ambitious/stupid and I should wait for another one to come along.
    It's just so nice and quiet!
    Thanks

2. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

nothing much to loose by giving it a go, may never be 100% but mine works very well, no idea if it is 100% but does me, yes quite and instant, without pictures it is hard to comment but if you skimmed the end cap could you not skim the mating face so the relationship of the parts?

3. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    If you've got access to get it done cheaply then may be worth a go but I would say it would make far more sense to just find another one. Sell that one as spares/repairs "Doesn't produce air"

bsjoling likes this.
  4. bsjoling New Member

In theory I'm sure it would work, but in practice it may not is something I have learnt the hard way all too often

wacky7791 likes this.
  5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    The problem with Hydrovanes is they are like high end cars, when they get old you can buy them cheapish but the parts haven't gone down. They also need to be worked and many of the small ones have problems because people run them once a month to pump up some tyres. Even a Hydrovane 5 isn't far away from £2k to buy new.

bsjoling likes this.
  6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Have you got the workshop manual?

7. weldvandal Member

north devon
    bsjoling some parts could be machined but as soon as you increase the rotor to barrel clearance your air output will drop,
    really needs to be done by someone who understands how these pumps work and even then it will run hotter and flow less.
    I have got a few spare complete pumps here (hydrovane hv01 about 20 years newer than a 5) that I would be willing to sell they have been rebuilt with new bearings seals filters etc but no wear to the rotors,barrels and housings

bsjoling likes this.
  8. Daveleonard Member

Heathrow airport
    Did a bit of service work on hydrovanes many years ago they had a really good service department in redditch worth a talk with they also had good overhaul kits with everything you need.
    Ps that was a long time ago.

bsjoling and mike os like this.
  9. bsjoling New Member

Hi
    Thanks for your replies.
    I did find a manual. Nice simple bits of kit. Guess I'll try chatting to them at redditch if they're still there.
    Thanks weldvanal.. Pls do let me know, tho I expect they'll be out of my meagre means.
    Considering the machining route, I'm pretty sure the barrel only needs to be taken out a few thou. Interestingly it seems the ripples in the barrel are significant at one end then fade as it goes along, so the rotors weren't running parrallel. This is probably why there are wear marks on the end casing. Again, these are no more than 10 thou, so I would have thought such nominal skimming would not have impacted the overall charachter of the machine.
    The end housing clamps onto the barrel so as I see it I won't need to touch the rotors as the skimmed head casting will simply clamp .2mm tighter.
    I would like to know what the running clearances ought to be. I am aware that there are various shims avaiable.

10. bsjoling New Member

DSCF0988.JPG DSCF0988.JPG DSCF0990.JPG DSCF0991.JPG DSCF0992.JPG

• DSCF0989.JPG
  11. bsjoling New Member

some nice juicy photos... noticed the bush is pretty badly worn out...

12. stuvy

stuvy Member

We have a brand new hydrovain

Mira just been swapped for a new one as it was outside manufacturers tolerance

13. weldvandal Member

north devon
    ouch that's quite badly worn,price up the kt52 rebuild kit and the km52 maintenance kit plus white metal bearings (bushes)
    i would be 99% sure that the rotor journals have worn down and then plus the rest of the machining that pump is going to be very expensive (possibly over £400) and still not as good as it should be
    I don't know what your budget is but its over £200 in service/maintenance kits alone plus everything else without knowing that it will work.
    not trying to put you off just being realistic and trying to offer my own first hand experience of these

14. bsjoling New Member

yes weldvandal, does look like its in the write-off zone.
    Mates got a little mill, may just have a play and see if I can get air out of it again with the endcap trued up, barrel skimmed and a bush. If time allows, before I die of old age :-)
    You didnt tell me how much you wanted for yours..
    cheers

Advertisements