Hydraulic press

1. RichardM Member

After @Screwdriver showing what a press could do in the way of bending I was thinking of buying a #2 fly press. Well I found 2 part meant it was able to exert 2 tons force. Aldi were selling off the small bottle jacks before lockdown so I bought one as you do!
    5MT capacity bottle jack, bits of steel from when I used to go to work (skip diving :D). Why not make a small hydraulic press which I could dismantle for storage.
    Some of the raw materials
    IMG_4910.JPG

I love my Aldi bandsaw :hug:
    IMG_4912.JPG

Drill some 16mm holes 100mm apart for the location pins, the step drill gave 15.92mm hole so they were finished reamed to 16.
    IMG_4913.JPG

All drilled for location pins ready to clean up for welding.

IMG_4914.JPG

Mock-up welded together and testing - no deflection on the beams and no more movement out of the jack:thumbup:
    IMG_4915.JPG

2. RichardM Member

Altering the jack to work up-side -down, a piece of plastic tube pressed into the pickup hole and notched in the other end so it picks up about 10mm from the "top"

IMG_4917.JPG

Skimmed the bottom of the jack flat in the lathe.

IMG_4920.JPG

Location pins made from 16mm EN16T with a small taper on one end

IMG_4921.JPG

Welded the jack mounting plate and a couple of return spring holders on the upper beam.

IMG_4922.JPG

3. RichardM Member

Well after having a new garage door and bit of a sort out and clean up I got back to my press build.

When putting the return springs on the jack takes too long to pump when upside down, so I stripped the pipe out of the jack to run it RWU.
    IMG_4924.JPG
    Of course this means that I have to change the design, thicker top plate welded on with location ring for the jack and a piece of box section also welded in to stop any possible splay of the angle.
    IMG_4928.JPG
    Slide made for the jack to bolt to, needs jack base plate welding on and drilling for centre pin. Plus return spring holders welding on.
    IMG_4927.JPG

I also put a bracket on the top beam to take a bolt and keep everything square.

If anyone has some trampoline springs they want to get rid of please let me know.

Pilzy, pressbrake1 and northwest like this.
  4. premmington

premmington Member

Your quote - "Altering the jack to work up-side -down, a piece of plastic tube pressed into the pickup hole and notched in the other end so it picks up about 10mm from the top"

Now that is a good idea :clapping:

Hopefuldave likes this.
  5. RichardM Member

Oh err, r nice white paint makes it look a lot better!

IMG_4951.JPG
    unfortunately it gets scraped off when you use it!

IMG_4953.JPG

Jack's the right way up now, it is easier to operate when pulling the handle down rather than pushing up and seemed to be retaining a slight bit of air in the ram/pump when upside down.

Return springs off old angle poise lamps as I had some in a box in the garage!

Just need to get a couple of bits of 2" 3mm angle for some feet when things get more back to normal (ie off cuts bin).

gaz1, roofman, sparkysy and 7 others like this.
  6. tom2207 Member

very smart job

Pigeon_Droppings2 and RichardM like this.
  7. chris pruteanu Member

Top notch work there, however a separate cyl and hand pump from one of them body pulling kits would have made more sence and you wouldnt loose much room due to the size of the jack...but if its working for you...

8. Wallace

Wallace Member

On the jack piston barrel, is there a small drilling near the top? On the bottle jacks I have dismantled this drilling is a pressure relief to stop the piston pushing all the way out, upside down without the springs the piston could come out if there is no physical stop added.

9. RichardM Member

Piston appeared to be stopped from coming all the way out by the top nut.

Wallace likes this.
  10. RichardM Member

but that would have meant buying something else :o Total cost £5.99 for the jack, £2.25 for the EN16T, welding consumables and a bit of paint. Everything else came from my "steel from the works skip pile" so under a tenner all in :thumbup:

dobbslc, Pilzy, Wallace and 1 other person like this.
  11. Pilzy

Pilzy Member

Got a load of trampoline springs here and would be honoured to donate to such a great build/tutorial Sir.

If you wanna PM your address I`ll get them in the post for you. How many you need/want?

roofman likes this.
  12. RichardM Member

Apologies @Pilzy, I've only just seen your post. I've been concentrating on concreting a base for the small shed I'm just moving 3ft along so I can get a window in the garage!

Either two or four should be sufficient I think, I'll drop you a PM.

13. Pilzy

Pilzy Member

Cool, I`ll get them in the post for you.

Advertisements