Hydraulic Fitting Same As A Pneumatic Fitting

1. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

I've bought a low pressure regulator, rated 0.05-2 BAR. It has 3 x 1/2 ports also bought a pair of 1/2 x 3/8 male bushings.

I assume a hydraulic blanking plug for the rear port, for this application is just as good as a pneumatic plug?
    Cheers.

• Hydraulic Fitting.jpg
  2. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    As long as it seals on the face, then yes :)

3. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

So should I remove that rubber ring?

4. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    nope, that's your seal. As long as the regulator also has a flat face for it to seal against, you'll be fine.

The "correct" fitting (and I'm guessing here) is a BSP tapered thread plug with thread tape, that's the usual air fitting thread, either that or NPT (similar enough to BSP to usually work)

The parallel thread face seal will work though

5. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I've been looking on EvilBay for a couple of flow meters/peashooters and a tee so I can run backing gas in pipes/tubes, they all just say "3/8 thread", no clue BSP or NPT, will they seal well enough (with a wrap of tape if needed)?

Dave H. (the other one)

6. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

OK thanks.

7. carbon

carbon Member

3/8 bsp and 3/8 npt are close and will fit together but it can be hard work after a couple of revolutions.

8. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Most welding related 3/8" fittings are BSP thread... in fact all of them I've came across, anyways. Probably some NPT fittings out there but it's a good gamble it's BSP

9. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Some thread sizes, half inch in particular are dangerously similar, the difference is NPT is 60 degree thread angle, the BSPP is a parralel thread, BSPT is the taper, the BSP thread form is 55 degrees.

If you buy a fitting and it doesnt screw in almost all the way by fingers, it isnt right.

If you do force NPT and BSPT or parallel for that matter, they may go in buy coming out they tend to gaul and damage the softer usually the internal thread badly.

Advertisements