How would you build a 3m X 5m fruit cage?

1. julianf

julianf Member

My partner wants such an item at the allotment.

About 3m X 5m and high enough to walk in.

I reckon a small commercial poly tunnel might be a better idea, but that would involve finding one second hand, transport etc as they're not cheap new (I know you can get bendy ones cheap, but they would not survive)

Cage does not have to be substantial as only netted. Or just find a poly tunnel frame and net that maybe?

Otherwise I'm thinking inch square tube?

2. metalmelt Member

I use 30X30 SHS and anchor it into the ground and cover it with netting, poly tunnels get to hot in summer for fruit and prevent a lot of pollinators getting in.

stuvy likes this.
  3. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    50x50 batten plywood corners with wire mesh stapled on.

Parm, cocker, eLuSiVeMiTe and 2 others like this.
  4. DanZac New Member

I used Key Clamp fittings and tubing with wire rope at the diagionals to stop it racking for mine. (20m x 8m x 2m high ish).

Not the cheapest option but it's solid, looks good and is standing up considerably better than all the other bodged up variations on the allotment.

5. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I did something similar out of rebar for netting plants, but not as big. On our raised beds Ive made polly tunnel type frames from blue water pipe. Supports netting fine.

Those npbendy tent poles you can buy as spares would work too, if you sett the ends in a bit of tube driven into the ground

6. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

Doing the same thing for my blueberries.
    Just making a simple batten frame but not permanently fixing net as most trees/bushes only needs protection when in fruit, waste of net the rest of the time and awkward to move around in for pruning ect .
    When it's time to protect from bird I will pull the net over. Easy to move to pick fruit.
    I've got scaffolding net off the bay, big roll, cheap and tough enough,connected with zip ties, twice as wide.
    This way I can use the net for other things earlier on in the year.
    Pollinators can get in, birds don't get trapped

stuvy likes this.
  7. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

A friend of ours advertised for damaged trampoline frames, then cut up the curved sections & made poytunnels with them. From what I recall, they were inundated with requests to take the frames away. Might be worth thinking about.

Parm, metalmelt, James1979 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

Facebook local sale or swap is good for these.

9. Dev

Dev 8th generation, Weyland type

UK
    A5DFDB97-F10E-44D6-A144-970608DD631D.jpeg pop up gazebo frames - you could even leave the roof on and just net the sides.

10. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

We use some plastic conduit about 50mm, the kind wiring is passed through underground with scaffold debris netting stretched over it. This is for a Brassica cage to keep butterflies off the kale and it's been going for about 10 years now with no problems apart from the occasional sparrow needing to be released.

11. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

I'd use those mesh panels you see to protect the public from building sites, and jubilee clip the panels together.
    With one over the top, they're about 20 quid each available to buy from tool hire centres.

There's a name for them which escapes me.

Parm likes this.
  12. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

My youngest son took over a neglected allotment in the summer, council said he had to clear it - had a trampoline dumped on it which is now a poly tunnel

metalmelt and Cobbler like this.
  13. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

I made a massive one from abandoned market stalls, the type that socket together, 3/4"? square tube, worked well but I gave up on growing stuff, too much like hard work!

14. premmington

premmington Member

"heras fencing" :waving:

metalmelt and James1979 like this.
  15. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

Thats the stuff.

16. premmington

premmington Member

I had to goggle how to spell it. :ashamed:

barking mat likes this.
  17. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

I made one of these out of 5 'abandoned' panels, stretched poundshop pea netting over it, worked well.

18. James1979 Member

What I did when wife wanted a run for chickens.

Up here they use plastic tubing from salmon pens and bend them into hoops, with batten running horizontally, and put plastic cladding or net over that. The trick is to use one coach bolt per junction so the whole thing wobbles in a controlled fashion. Stands up to the high winds better than a rigid equivalent. Someone has started making them commercially called a polycrub

Parm and metalmelt like this.
  19. Richiew Forum Supporter

12mm round bar? I made a rudimentary garden arch for my mam years ago out of some. Still there years later. Small profile so doesn't catch the wind. Pushes into the ground easy and is relatively easily bent to shape

Brundle sell it, £5.50 for 6metres plus Vat and delivery so it is pretty cheap and easily sourced.

20. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Commercial ones are usually inch box on about 2m centres

Advertisements