hose clips

1. Greg05 Member

hello all,
    does anyone know what them clips are called that you can use to attach fittings to an airline.
    the ones with the 2 little ears that you crimp up with a pair of side cutters?

cheers

2. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

I've always known them as single or double eared hose clamps but there's bound to be a proper name.

Greg05 likes this.
  3. 123hotchef Member

they aint the best for air lines either the double ones can pinch the hose

4. Greg05 Member

what would you recommend? don't fancy jubilee clips

5. Greg05 Member

found them, thanks for that, they are double ear hose clips.... why I didn't Google that I don't know ... or otherwise known as O clips

eSCHEn likes this.
  6. 123hotchef Member

single eared are better less chance of pinching if you dont fancy jubilee clamps, or fule line clamps

Greg05 likes this.
  7. Greg05 Member

cheers for that, will give them a go. always up for trying different methods

123hotchef likes this.
  8. hotponyshoes Member

To avoid pinching use the single ear otkier clips, they have a band that goes under the ear so totally smooth on the inside.

Greg05 and 123hotchef like this.
  9. 123hotchef Member

me too someone on here told me too,

10. maz0

maz0 Forum Supporter

Just had a sore head with those things on an airline. Fine to 70psi but above that they were hissin air like mad, don’t really trust them now. Jubilee wasnt much better!

123hotchef likes this.
  11. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I bought an adaptor line for my Clarke's MIG to convert to a standard bottle. I must I have a quarter of the bottle before I realised that the damned double winged clip wasn't sealing properly. Very unhappy. I must get around to fixing it sometime :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

123hotchef likes this.
  12. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

The only issue I had with those clips.

Is when on the double eared ones, one side is over crimped and the other one never has enough give to fully seal.

On the singles is when they nip the hose and you get a leak.

I did invest in the pliers for them, yes it reduced the failure rates. but you still can get the odd one.

Greg05, 123hotchef and maz0 like this.
  13. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I made myself a knock-off ClampTite and use stainless lock wire, not had anything leak yet BUT I'm always worried the wire will eventually cut into the hose...

DSCN6695.JPG

Dave H. (the other one)

maz0, Greg05 and 123hotchef like this.
  14. maz0

maz0 Forum Supporter

Seen these all over youtube when researching home made hoses. They look pretty nifty, would like to find a chinese knock off though, I aint paying 100 bux for the American one.

15. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

I twist lock wire like that sometimes, I only used to do it on other peoples stuff usually; you can fold the ends in and it
    isn't as stabey as just twisting lockwire. But I think you will find all my air lines just have twisted lockwire.
    The tool is as simple as a bit of scrap and a bolt with two holes. But watch out you don't cut the hose.

The oetiker clips come in loads of types, the thin stainless ones with a liner are the ones I always went for. The thin ones compress down and get a grip like
    a bit of lockwire does. The thick steel ones are a bit like jubillee clips and not always conforming to the the hose.

16. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Took me less than 10 mins with angle grinder and some scraps to make up...

Piece of ally tube, bolt threaded and Loctited in the end then spun in cordless against bench grinder to get the tapered nose, hole drilled through and a piece of rod Loctited in, two slots cut along the tube with a slitting disc, piece of studding with hole drilled for second rod (Loctited in), washer and wingnut of the studding, then cut a 1mm slot in the point of the nose, parallel with the two rods, done!

From watching the Youtube ClampTite videos, I learned to use it in a few minutes / couple of tries, and it appears to work just as well as the Real Thing...

Dave H. (the other one)

maz0 likes this.
  17. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

Maybe I will I might make one. Sometimes my drilled_bolt'n'scrap can be awkward to get in tight places
    and then turn the bolt to tension the wire.

18. 123hotchef Member

i forgot i made one ages ago too dont think i have ever used it

19. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Used loads of them, never had a hose pinch, when they fit properly.

123hotchef likes this.
  20. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I must admit I have never had an issue with a double eared clip on an air hose. All of my fixed lines are made with them and the hose has always split long before any joints gave way. All of my whip hoses and conversion hoses are made with double eared too.

I think the common mistake many make are
    A: Using wrong size.
    B: Starting on one side and crimping it all the way instead of doing both evenly.
    C: Winching them up too tight.

Greg05 and 123hotchef like this.
Advertisements