Hood and lens

1. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Does anyone here use a setup like this?
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Au...107017?hash=item467f56d209:g:IVMAAOSw7XNbMWvO

Here's why I'm asking,i spend most of my welding time stuck underneath rust buckets patching up MOT repairs etc, the last straw was Friday gone, a heap of a Mk6 transit(chassis,rear bump stop areas both sides), now if anyone does what I do knows where I'm coming from, its all about access,I'm getting too old plus with my bad neck(ankylosing spondylitis) it's not easy to jam your head between propshaft and exhaust plus many other places IE inside wheel arches, with a standard helmet on, plus on a 4 post ramp again access is limited.
    So,to make my life a little easier I'm thinking of the above, not for use all the time but for when i need it,the thing i like most about this is being able to flip the lens up for checking, beats coming back down and removing my helmet, check and put it back on again PITA.
    Your thoughts please
    Cheers :thumbup:

2. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    I wouldn't think twice for what you do. When I built wagons I used to use a hood under my mask, but spatter still got in sometimes, the above would eliminated the gaps. I doubt the quality of the lens is as good as an optrel, but under a car it wouldn't be as important.

Nick DV and 8ob like this.
  3. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I have one for grovelling about under machines, you will need a decent elasticated headband to stop it flopping around on your head. They move about too much as is and the lens ends up on the squiff.

Bob

4. northwest

northwest Member

There are some people I know who would wear that for a night out on a Friday!

5. premmington

premmington Member

6. mdr

mdr Collector of welding machines

FYI: Those cheap hoods are incredibly poorly made when you get to hold one. I've got one and even ignoring the quality issue, it doesn't line up with your eyes very well - especially if you tend to move your shoulders or arms while welding (which we all do). Any thick material that sits on your shoulders is going to shift the eye port around and block your view when you lift your elbow.

Just annoying for me after five minutes. Would I buy again? No. It does block all backlight out so there are no distracting light entering the hood - it's good for that and the reason I bought it.

Few close ups of the one I have (I bet they are all made in the same factory)...

IMG_6540.JPG IMG_6543.JPG IMG_6546.JPG IMG_6549.JPG IMG_6551.JPG IMG_6552.JPG

I'd also suggest the Miller Weld Mask 2 or even the Optrel WeldCap - I don't own either but they look like they would work better for moving around. I saw new WeldCaps on eBay a few months ago for only £115.

With the Miller you could just get a FR balaclava with UV blocking for total nimbleness like this...

Wallace likes this.
  7. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
  8. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    @mdr
    As said,its not for full time use,if it helps with those tricky bits then it'll do me, i'm sure it could be tailored one way or another to fit.
    The lens is the main thing for me,and it has to fit over my specs
    Cheers

9. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
  10. Melvyn Best Member

There are people I know that should wear one for a night out ANYTIME

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. mdr

If you want the one I have PM me an address and I'll stick it in the post tomorrow.

12. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Very kind of you, but I've just ordered that one off Amazon,BUT,keep yours on hold, lets see what comes in the post:whistle:

mdr likes this.
  13. premmington

premmington Member

Yeah it was the price that put me off - like the idea thou. :doh:

14. mdr

lol. I can't even give it away! :D

Bryan Williams likes this.
  15. Turbo Member

After having a close call from spatter going inside my ear when welding dirty steel I bought one of these.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Esab-Bla...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've used it a few times with my auto mask & it's great for protecting your head. It does get warm on a hot day but not nearly as much as that leather hood will. Plus you can wear your own mask & not have to put up with the smell of sweaty leather!

Shedendman likes this.
  16. James1979 Forum Supporter

Snap on did something similar to the Miller one I recall? Don’t know more than that. Had a crack with a mates one, could see its advantages but not useful to me. For auto stuff it would be great.

17. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
    I know some people who would take this for the women they meet on a Friday night! :drunk:

northwest likes this.
  18. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

This I think is one of the keys to making it work.

The other key would be to make sure your breath doesn't mist up the lens...

8ob likes this.
  19. northwest

northwest Member

Ahh, I see we know the same people.

Nick DV likes this.
  20. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
    Must have grown up in the same era - a time for great life experiences :scared:

Advertisements