homemade wood lathe?

1. monkeymark Member

Co. Durham, UK
    I have a couple of things id like to have a go at making but can't warrant buying a lathe.
    Has anyone made their own small wood lathe?

There's loads of videos on pootube of varying quality and complexity. Anyone seen any particularly good videos?

I'm only after something simple as if I enjoy it I'll look into buying a small hobby one.
    For now Either drill powered or I have a good 12v motor (high speed) off a sweeper and a decent 230v (not sure but think low speed high torque, from a floor buffer) motor but no speed controls for them.

Any suggestions?

2. redrascal Member

What about a washing machine motor? Maybe you can use the speed circuit parts.

3. monkeymark Member

Co. Durham, UK
    That does sound like a good idea, not sure I could manage that though. Not sure on the circuitry within. :whistle:

4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Get a cheap pillar drill, take the base off and turn it on it's side.

5. CRB

CRB Member

I bought a Router Lathe, a long time ago. A bit limited, the router was able to thin section parts and the depth was of cut was small. Used a few times and hung up.....still there. It did have an indexing wheel, but I had no need then to use it.
    Similar, but not a trend.
    [​IMG]

Do not do what this dangerous numpty did. Just plain stoopid.

I saw it a while ago but frankly it is scary in too many ways. There are more sensible methods to this end.

6. monkeymark Member

Co. Durham, UK
    Just spent a while looking on pootube. Expected a few videos of people using washer motors with the speed controllers out of the washer but surprisingly couldn't find any.

7. monkeymark Member

Co. Durham, UK
    I've seem those router dooh dahs before and thought of getting one.

And that guy is just nuts. Would not want to be near that.

8. CRB

CRB Member

I was in my very early twenties at the time, and actually, had there been the t'interweb' could have made one. Nowadays, it is a doddle to make your own.

Particularly worrying in the video is the wonky billet getting swung at however-many rpm.:o

This is all very well, but it does depend on what you want to make.:dontknow:

9. Kent

Kent Member

If your interested I have quite a large 240v lathe by electra beckum doing nothing here, big enough to turn a fair size bowl, clock or newel posts etc. I have been going to sell it for a few years now. Lancashire BB7

10. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

Oh I dunno, fortune favours the brave and all that :D My concern was that he tilts the router as he's following the template, so strictly speaking it won't be an accurate copy unless the 'stylus' is on-axis with the router cutter - which I can't tell, so in time-honoured internet tradition: when in doubt, pick fault :whistle:

To turn a lump of wood that rough using traditional hand-chisel methods would be slow and just as ugly. Mind you I wouldn't fancy having to sweep up the chippings either way...

11. MattF

MattF Forum Supporter

Some pillowblock bearings, a spindle, a stepped pulley and something like one of the old Picador faceplates or a lathe faceplate would give you the basics for making a variable speed headstock.

Have a look on the http://homemadetools.net website. There'll likely be plenty of things on there to float your boat. :D

12. monkeymark Member

Co. Durham, UK
    I trying to do this on an almost nothing budget, so unless your willing to practically give it away it would be no good for me. However I'm sure there are plenty on here whom it would be of interest to.

13. Dee J Member

14. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Forum Supporter

15. ibrooks Member

UK Lancashire
    If Mark doesn't take it let me have some details and I may well be able to put you in touch with someone who will. My parents are both on the committee of a local woodturning club and there was a guy who asked the other day if we knew of any lathes for sale (and you're only a hop and a skip from us).

Speed control isn't a necessity on the motor if you've got a set of stepped pulleys but you do want some grunt - especially if you are doing anything with any diameter.

It's also worthwhile keeping an eye on the local free adds (loot, Gumtree etc.) as they occasionally pop up there silly cheap - and silly expensive. Even a dud one could be good for parts to get you started.

Iain

16. monkeymark Member

Co. Durham, UK
    I am still considering making a lather until fincances allow me to purchase one.

Today I got my hands on one of these [​IMG]

Not that actual one but very similar.
    It has a nice pulley system incorporated to adjust speed manually. Problem is, im not sure I want to pull it apart now :dontknow:

17. MCKDAVID Member

I know the budget constraints, but I think you're making life difficult for yourself. They can be had cheap enough second hand. I think by the time you faff around trying to source all the parts, getting a motor with the right torque, head bearings, fixing plates, etc you'd probably be well on with buying a second hand one. Look at the likes of Clarke new, not that expensive, just googled it, from about 130 new from machine mart, so you can see what the second hand version would cost. I'd reckon should be able to pick one up for 50-60 quid. Ok they're not that great, but for starting out on, more than enough.
    Not that I can fault you for a project, but at that sort of price I'd be looking at second hand, mind you I have more than enough projects already....

18. ibrooks Member

UK Lancashire
    Dad picked up a short Record one of some description for £80 last week. Well he bought it - I picked it up.

Iain

19. MattH

MattH Member

Don't breakup a nice tool post grinder for parts. Sell it and buy a cheap lathe. Aldi had some in store before Christmas new for £40, not worth messing around.

bigegg likes this.
  20. monkeymark Member

Co. Durham, UK
    When i saw how much the post grinders are I did (still am) consider selling it.
    The aldi ones are no good. I looked at them but apparently they have an odd ball thread making faceplate/chucks etc hard to find that actually fit.

Advertisements