Homemade Weight Bench:advice tips

1. u facciolu

u facciolu Member

hello, I would like to make a gym bench, metal frame structure and wooden support surface. I think the optimal measurements are: 13 inches wide, about 30 centimeters; 48 inches long, about 120 centimeters; high from the ground 17 inches, about 43 cm.
    I should make it in metal and wood, what do you recommend, vertical H structure or other type of conformation. it must be light and not bulky robust take into account that weight about 90 kg, plus the loads of weights, some solutions, I use boxed or profiled tubulars, which section, how to segment the pieces and balance them? thanks I wait for useful tips.

https://www.entrenamiento.com/mas-deportes/powerlifting/practicar-powerlifting-gimnasio-casero/

2. Aff

Aff Member

I think it depends how long you want to use it for?

When lockdown started and the Gyms shut I built this for my brother. Total cost was about £40 in wood and £10 in paint. I had a load of Stainless bar lying around already.

Bench is fully adjustable and its taken a large amount of abuse (most weight it has see is probably a 150kg loaded bar + 120kg person), it doesnt creak or bend and has 2 40kg dumbells on the legs so doesnt move around either.
    Its been sat outside this whole time and showing no signs of rotting away yet. I did later add some pins on the sides to hold the extra weights and I sleeved all the holes with ally tube to stop them shrinking in the rain.

If you want to make something more permanent, steel is obviously preferred, the stuff available commercially doesn't seem that well built and seems to be made out of some pretty thin steel, so im sure anything you make will be better than shop bought. It will just depend how much adjustability you want as the build complexity rises quite quickly.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-30 at 21.07.15.jpeg

Gragson and stuvy like this.
  3. tlovatt Member

Rugby, UK
    That dog is never 120kg!

slim_boy_fat and Maker like this.
  4. u facciolu

u facciolu Member

thank you for your precious intervention, in fact, I believe the gym benches produce them in China at low cost, with boxed tubes of modest thickness, perhaps under heavy loads, could cause serious injuries to those who use them, thanks

[​IMG]

5. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

My bench and rack are only 2 or 3mm wall 60mm box, the manufacturer of the rack claims it's good for 450kg which is well into world record territory, don't overthink the material choice.

6. minimutly Member

I made mine out of 25mm galv conduit....

7. Mr Roo

Mr Roo Member

I made one out of 80x6.3 SHS for a local strongman gym.

not had any reports of it falling down yet :D

8. u facciolu

u facciolu Member

Advertisements