Home made vice jaw screwdriver

1. jgr2015 Member

Hi All,

I had occasion to remove the slot head screws from a vice. The first three came out easily enough with a hand type impact screwdriver. The fourth though .... bent the impact bit into a helix.

I read somewhere about gripping a short screwdriver or bit between the vice jaws to stop it camming out while turning. I didn't have anything to hand which was an accurate fit to the screw slot so I decided to try making one.

2020-05-18 13.59.57.jpg

First go, unhardened EN24T - result too soft and in danger of twisting. Next try, hardened but not tempered - way too brittle - result snapping of screwdriver tip. I didn't want to throw it away, so I tempered the stub and then reshaped the tip freehand on a bench grinder. Result - success!

slim_boy_fat, Gragson and zx9 like this.
  2. zx9

zx9 Member

Well done, I like the way that you progressed to a solution. :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. jgr2015 Member

Thanks! Thought I'd share the lows as well as the highs ☺. I didn't think the hardening had been quite as effective as it clearly had been - hence the trying it out untempered. Very happy moment when it all worked out in the end.

4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Have used impact screwdriver ends

5. Agroshield Member

Old, good quality Allen keys work well. Look how much twist you can put on one of them before they deform permanently. Added benefit is the spanner hex is already formed. Just do not overheat when grinding to shape.

jgr2015 likes this.
  6. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Nice solution to a common problem.

I find if they don't come loose in a few heavy blows. I tighten them up with a few blows.
    They seam to come out easier.

Only on a few cheep vices did that not work and I had to dress a Impact driver bit to fit the sloppy slot.

Advertisements