Home built compressor

1. Stingray Member

Toying with the idea of making my own compressor, logic in doing this would be:
    1) A satisfying little project for the winter time.
    2) Hopefully build a compressor for less than half the price of a new one.
    3) Space in my garage is limited so would like to build a vertical compressor.
    Looking at using a 14cfm cast iron pump and probably a 3hp motor, receiver would be a 47kg propane bottle, so a few questions that maybe some compressor experts could give advice on?
    a) Is this a feasible project and how many people on here have went down the path of building their own compressor?
    b) I am a Welder so have no issues about altering a 47kg cylinder and installing the pipework (10 bar setup c/w safety valve, check valves, manometer, etc)
    c) I am 95% sure how I would start this project but this shall depend on the type of pump, pressure switch, check valve, motor I find for this but does anyone have pictures or simple schematic of their setup?
    d) Does anyone know where the cheapest place to source all the parts or has anyone got anything kicking about that they may not need?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

I considered this a few years ago and came to the conclusion that a new compressor would cost less than the bits to make one, unless you've got/can get surplus/used parts.

3. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

A new one is cheaper than the sum of the parts to make a one from scratch.

Why not find an old one, restore it and bring it back to life.
    I think that way is more fun and more skills get used.

Davek0974, Hopefuldave and Stingray like this.
  4. Stingray Member

I am hoping that I can pick up a second hand motor, I can get a clarke 14cfm cast iron v-twin pump for £130, I know to by a Abac compressor is about £800, I hope that if I watch what I’m doing £350 to £400 would build me a something that shall last me a long time..

5. Stingray Member

I’ve been looking up gumtree and donedeal (Northern Ireland) and even compressors that are for spares or repair are £200, I’m limited for space and that’s why I was looking at going down the vertical compressor route, only other option would be to place a compressor high up on the wall, might even phone up some local compressor suppliers and see if they’ve got anything kicking about that they took as a trade in that needs some work...

6. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The last one I rbuilt, before I joined here was ex MOD Army unit.
    Ok the tank was damaged, but usable. I had it pressure tested.
    The rebuild was fun, the pump the motor was a full strip down.
    I modified it to be able to have an electric motor or convert it to a old lawn mower engine.

Not taking into account the testing of the tank I think I had a unit for under £300.

slim_boy_fat and Stingray like this.
  7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

8. p0689109 Member

I have a vertical tank not being used I could do a good deal on.

Stingray likes this.
  9. Turbo Member

Over here in NI the availability of used compressors is limited so command higher prices. Any you do find are often worn out or too expensive.

I looked for a long time for one, checking gumtree & donedeal daily then I happened upon one at a local auction. I had a good look at it before the sale & it had a problem starting under load but I knew what the fault was. The fault kept the price down & I bought it for £150, a 200l 14cfm Ingersoll Rand. It is now working & in daily use in my workshop.

I would advise you to keep looking for a used one, it will turn up. Not sure where you are but keep an eye out for any local auctions & facebook marketplace. Don't limit yourself to a vertical unit, it would be simple enough to adapt a horizontal unit to sit upright.

Do your sums thoroughly & you'll find the price of all the parts will be very close to the price of a new compressor. I priced up the parts to make a pressurised sandblaster from a gas cylinder & it was very close to the cost of buying one.

Stingray likes this.
  10. Stingray Member

Yes, second hand gear across here is about two times the price compared to across the water and to buy blind on eBay without seeing anything and getting it shipped across here is too big a risk, there’s a used compressor on gumtree, running but needs attention for about £350, it needs a motor and pressure switch, it’s a twin motor setup, so chances are you’d end up replacing a lot more in the future and still have a secondhand compressor, all the new stuff around the £500 mark is Jefferson quality so not going down that route, I’ve checked local auctions and the only stuff that’s coming up just now are small direct drive stuff that’s not suitable!
    Any everything is in the planning stage so plenty of time to think/source different options..

11. Turbo Member

12. Stingray Member

Hi Turbo, Yes the Clarke looks good but just too large, looking for something that doesn’t need a forklift to move it about..., I think I’ll play the waiting game and see what comes up that suits my needs!

13. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

id like to know if . you would?

14. Stingray Member

I think postage for the tank from stoke on Trent to Northern Ireland would be a killer unfortunately...

15. p0689109 Member

True but if you have any contacts coming your way from this side let me know. Do you want photos?

16. Stingray Member

Yes please p0689109

17. p0689109 Member

Ok if weather permits I will take some tomorrow

18. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Something I found out years ago: it is cheaper to buy two cheapie 5cfm compressors than to buy one cheapie 10cfm compressor. I can’t rememner th exact source, but I was looking at getting one big enough to power air tools and discovered the above snippet of info.

19. Stingray Member

Bought this and received it today from eBay, brand new Gast compressor pump, unfortunately as you can see the seller never packed it too well so filters are smashed and the end cover is broken, I’ve contacted the seller and he’s said he’ll refund Me the p+p and try and get the courier to pay for replacement parts, anyway the pump was £100, it’s rated to about 9cfm continuous.
    I can get non genuine screw on filters for a few quid each and the glue gun shall sort the cover out but I’ll see what the seller comes up with...
    6EA04B1D-BD57-4A69-BB98-D1C55941137C.jpeg

20. p0689109 Member

Tell him you want a complete replacement as per your rights as there may be more damage than you think would be my advice.

Seadog and Morrisman like this.
Advertisements