Hobby Deal from BOC

1. TigLad

TigLad Member

Hi everyone. I have just ordered a MIG set and looking through the forum I've seen some suggestions that the 'hobby deal from BOC is decent value, I've just been looking on their website and it comes up as £66.59 for a Y size cylinder of argosheild light, is this referring to the yearly rental cost or the refill cost and is this the hobby deal price?
    Probably just me but I don't find it to be very clear on the website.

2. Mr Fro

Mr Fro Member

I've just switched from BOC to a rent free supplier. Yes, the gas works out a little more expensive but the BOC rental keeps getting jacked up so rent free works out far cheaper for me.

hunter27 and mike os like this.
  3. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I went with Hobbyweld for the same reasons, local supplier and no rental, just an initial deposit

mike os likes this.
  4. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

I've stuck with BOC for the simple reason that there's a BOC agent only a few miles away and any alternative would cost me time and fuel, not a great choice in my area.

5. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Shows as £46.69 for me on the hobbyweld package, but I don't think that includes the cylinder rental.

upload_2020-10-11_15-29-59.png

I do know that I paid £61 last October - perhaps that's the rental :dontknow:

Why does this have to be so complex?

6. a111r Member

The Hobbyweld deposits for the three sizes are £70, £110 and £190.

Return of the cylinder = deposit refund, less a £10 + VAT admin. fee.

7. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

If you are using a low volume, say 1 or possibly 2 cylinders a year then one of the rent free options will likely work out cheaper.
    If you use any more than that then the likes of the BOC will probably be cheaper.

As @Tangledfeet says, availability should also be taken into account.

8. Mr Fro

Mr Fro Member

Very true however, as I'm mostly doing TIG these days I've chopped over to rent free Argon.

The down side is that I still have a nearly full bottle of Argoshield in the garage that I don't want to turn in even though I've barely used it in a couple of years. I know I'm wasting money on rental but still...

Tangledfeet and Hood like this.
  9. TigLad

TigLad Member

What do I have to do to get the hobbyweld price as it's coming up as £66.59 for me

• Screenshot_20201011-194858_Samsung Internet.jpg
  10. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Ditto. MIG is my least preferred/used and I'm going to help myself make the decision by getting off my sorry carcass and sell my Paton VDI and wire-feed unit - and hand the bottle back half-full to BOC!

@TigLad Call BOC and get an account set up as a hobbyist.

11. TigLad

TigLad Member

Who is the rent free supplier that you went with?
    I will have to look into whether there's a supplier near me to see if that's a possibility for me and weigh up the options

12. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    I use BOC hobby cos I can collect 10 minutes from home. Always check how much gas is actually in the various cylinders, and do the sums, BOC used to be the winner, although I haven't checked lately..

mr migwire and Tangledfeet like this.
  13. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

I think you may have to phone and ask for the hobby deal.

TigLad likes this.
  14. Mr Fro

Mr Fro Member

Hobbyweld (I think).

15. dyno-tron

dyno-tron Member

This is the contact for BOC hobby deals (Adam miller)
    I contacted him earlier this year to get setup with oxy.

Screenshot_20201011-230523.png

TigLad likes this.
  16. julianf

julianf Member

BOC started sending me solicitors letters as i did not return my cylinder during lock down (even though id advised them prior to the end of contract that i would not be able to, due to lockdown)

Eventually they backed off. No apology or anything.

Went with South west gasses. Its about double the initial outlay, but cheaper in the long run, now BOC have added all their additional charges.

The upside is, of course, you also do not have to deal with BOC.

BarrieJ likes this.
  17. julianf

julianf Member

Since they added the transaction charge, its border line if they are even cheaper on gas any more.

It used to be that you paid the rental, but the gas was cheap. Now with the handling charge, effectively the gas is suddenly a load more money, and, pretty much, comparable to the rent-free deals, where, as the name implies, you dont get stung for rent every year.

It seems like a classic one of do a cheap deal, get people in, then mug them for money, and assume they wont bother leaving.

Shedendman, DavidL and Gritineye like this.
  18. Kram

Kram Member

Another option which seems to good to be true, get a full bottle, which you'd own, rather than rent, delivered from Poland.

https://weldes.co.uk/gb/gas-cylinders/55-full-gas-cylinder-argon-48-8l-150bar.html

Then have it collected, posted back for a refill
    https://weldes.co.uk/gb/homepage/16...butli-8l-150bar.html#/26-type_of_gas-argon_ar

Its a euro thread so need either Polish regulator or the correct adaptor. Unlikely anyone in the UK would fill it.
    I am quite tempted, if I were to get a second bottle I think I'd do this.

I think my SGS bottle was £125 or so with deposit, which they (edit, local shop, not sgs) hinted I would not get back after a few years, so this would be much cheaper.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  19. Agautosport Member

UK Somerset
    SGS Gases always refund 100% of the deposit no matter how long the cylinder has been with the customer.
    The cylinders you are looking at from Poland are only filed to 150BAR not the 200 BAR we fill to .
    Nobody in the UK will fill these Polish cylinders so you are relying on that company abroad to keep filling cylinders.
    Also remember our cashback offer for forum members.

Alan
    SGS Gases Ltd

northwest and Kram like this.
  20. Kram

Kram Member

Good to know, thanks, I have edited my post - it was the local shop that said the deposit reduces after some time.

Advertisements