hiab job

1. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    I've just sent a text to a mate of mine who used to have wagons that did that sort of thing. Just waiting for a reply. He's also in Kent...

123hotchef likes this.
  2. 123hotchef Member

cheers mate

3. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    He just replied, and he can no longer lift them. He used to have a few trailers with a pair of cranes that would lift from both ends of the container, but he got rid of them unfortunately. He's going to ask one of his contacts if they still have lifting equipment.

123hotchef likes this.
  4. 4String. Member

HSS charge £50-ish a day for standard “shifting” skates, which come with 2 rear skates and a front steerer. It would take literally minutes to get them under a 10’ box with a decent crowbar, some wooden wedges, and some 3” timbers. If, as has been said, the floor is good, ie tarmac, it wouldn’t take long to tow it to its new home with anything that has a tow bar, tying some 3” timbers underneath as “followers” just in case.

I’m in and out of Batt Cables at Erith on a regular basis and would happily do it if I weren’t in Edinburgh atm, the problem being that as it’s a school, if you use a Hiab you’ll need a lift plan, RAMS, plus all the other modern nonsense that goes with that, and it will cost you a few hundred pounds.

stuvy and 123hotchef like this.
  5. 4String. Member

FWIW, we occasionally work with Rendrive, on Crabtree Manorway at Belvedere. Might be worth a phone call to see if they can help?

123hotchef likes this.
  6. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

Has that Pizza oven been moved yet ? :scared:

Parm, Ruffian, octo0072000 and 6 others like this.
  7. Agrismith Member

If it's not over concrete you just need to jack it a bit higher and put an ifor flat bed trailer underneath it
    Infact you would probably pull it up the ramps they are so light
    A cheaper way if you want someone else to do it might be a local groundworks type company to move it with a digger

stuvy, 123hotchef and bigegg like this.
  8. 4String. Member

However you ultimately decide to move it, consider what can go wrong.

I’ve been involved with machine moving, general, heavy, and precision lifting, general, heavy, and abnormal load haulage, and Hiab work all of my working life, nigh-on 40 years, and if you think things don’t go wrong, believe me, they can. There but for the Grace of God go I, and all that, but when SHTF, it’s not fun:

indy4x and skotl like this.
  9. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    @123hotchef

Right then- I’ve had a reply and he has a couple of guys in mind, but he wants to speak with you regarding access etc, so probably best that you two deal direct rather that me passing info back and forth.

I’ll pm you his contact details...

Parm, stuvy, skotl and 2 others like this.
  10. 123hotchef Member

thanks mate much appricaiated

Windy Miller likes this.
  11. Pid Member

We use them for all our engine removals and movements not cheap but some of the best hiab operators I’ve worked with

Pete. likes this.
  12. julianf

julianf Member

What about those things you put under car wheels to move them? Dollies or somthing?

They're low, designed for things of similar weights, etc.

Less chance of damage if it only ever gets a few inches off the ground on a thing "approved" for carrying similar weights.

Easier to go in a curved path than scaffold rollers. (Not that I've used Dollies, but I've done enough with rollers to know going around corners is always a pain)

slim_boy_fat and 123hotchef like this.
  13. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk

When I moved my 3.5 ton milling machine on rollers I managed corners quite easily. They were quite big diameter though - bigger than scaffolding tube. You just use a sledge hammer to tap them in the direction you need to go.

123hotchef and stuvy like this.
  14. julianf

julianf Member

Sure, but if you have a shipping container on them, your roller is going to be approximately the width of the container - which will make a fair bit of difference when you need to knock them round.

Im not saying its impossible, but its just not much fun.

fizzy likes this.
  15. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    No it would be very different with a shipping container - perhaps use telegraph:laughing: poles

16. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

its hitting stuff with a sledgehammer.
    whats not to like?
    :D

17. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Unless you can sneak in and do this out of hours I would imagine there will need to be a lifting plan, RAMS, insurances and all the other bull associated with working at a school. its also in the lez so that will eliminate any older trucks just nipping in and doing this on the side.

Bob

18. 123hotchef Member

We are not in the ulez but out of hours won't be a problem

19. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

The man said "tap" :D

fizzy, bigegg and 8ob like this.
  20. armalites Member

Herefordshire
Advertisements