hi from azores and advice please

1. Nathan Levin Member

Hi All
    my name is Nathan, 59 years old, am a carpenter/boatbuilder looking to teach myself welding mainly to make farming implements, fix rusted panels on my pickup and build a woodburner BBQ and other things, Maybe even boat number 4 in steel but the wife hasnt heard that
    Living in the azores portugal and have a Stayer arc welder 140 amp 100 percent duty cycle, looking at getting either a hitbox 200 mig and arc or a rohr 200 mig and arc, will mostly do flux cored wire and looking for advice on which one you recomend and why, looking forward to this forum

fizzy likes this.
  2. paulo1974 Member

hello Nathan

The problem that you are facing is the warranty or lack of.

Check this out http://www.mbtools.pt/produtos/2824/maquina-soldar-mig-200a-multiprocesso-red-star-mini-mig or the bigger brother http://www.mbtools.pt/produtos/3092/maquina-soldar-mig-200a-multiprocesso-red-star-maxi-mig. They have local warranty and the machine has good reviews.

If you only inclined to flux core only you have lidl machines, they have 2 or 3 years warranty and you don´t break the bank (less than 100 euros).

You can buy outside of portugal but you have to add the cost of sending out to repair outside the country.

For the teaching part you can follow this guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5oj4Zve5yUUAwDdv3vW7nQ.

Se necessitares de ajuda , manda uma msg que eu ajudo no que poder.

3. Nathan Levin Member

Muito obrigado

thank you for your advice I will think on it, 400 euros is more than I would like to spend, the mig machine will not do as much work as the arc machine that I have but I would like the option of Gas wire welding, also there is no Lidl near me, in fact I dont think there is a lidl in the Açores, thank you for the offer of help via msg, I have already had a problem with the Stayer I purchased 4 years ago here on the island and Stayer Espanha replaced it NO charge shipped from Spain to me in 3 days outstanding service. I would definately buy another machine from them anytime they were really helpful and understanding

slim_boy_fat, fizzy and a111r like this.
  4. fizzy Member

uk
    Welcome to the forum.
    The Azores is somewhere I would love to visit.
    A steel boat would be great but so much work. Find something part completed and finish it off!

5. paulo1974 Member

i send those links for 3 reasons only
    1- A portuguese welding company is behind the brand ,so no warranty issues, the brand is also sold in azores (S. miguel) i think.
    2- It has some good reviews
    3 the price, if you search for mig welders you have 3 choices in Portugal
    - Buy something from a local store and pay premium (not the case) see the prices for eletrex but them this brand is more focus on industry than hobbie. Redstar its used on many small industries.
    - buy from aliexpress(EU warehouse) or similar and say goodbye to warranty and no support
    -buy from the E.U. but you have to consider the postage price and email support if available.

Stayer is a spanish brand that is implanted in Portugal for many years ,so you can buy or get support in Portugal at ease. I don´t know if this was the case but you can leave the welder on your local stayer agent and they send it to be repair.

For lidl you can find it in Lidl Ribeira Grande (Açores) São Miguel. i think. But if you want i can send you the machine from the mainland to Azores.

Nathan Levin likes this.
  6. RWD3M

RWD3M Forum Supporter

Ola Nathan,

Welcome to the Forum.

There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here, you're in good hands!

Been a long time since I was in the Azores (specifically Lajes), mid 90's probably. Went many times but only ever stayed a night at a time so sadly never got to see mch of the place.

jerrytug and Nathan Levin like this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Nathan. :waving:

jerrytug and Nathan Levin like this.
  8. jerrytug

jerrytug Member

Hi, welcome. If you happen to see a 1960's English dredger in P.Delgado, the Dragaçor, ex-Sand Martin.. I delivered it from Ireland in about 2001, a total rust bucket ;)

Seadog likes this.
  9. Nathan Levin Member

Hi no not in Ponta Delgado too big , on the island of Faial, bet you have stories about that rustbucket tho, deliveries are always wrong season, cr@p boat, wrong route etc etc, ;)

jerrytug likes this.
  10. jerrytug

jerrytug Member

Hi Nathan, I also was mate on a yacht delivery via Horta, in 2011, 'Paddy Mac', she got a spanking near Bermuda, broke a spar, but after that it was downhill all the way to Falmouth...
    I fully intend to re-visit and cruise the islands. A magical zone!
    (wrong camera date)

• IMG_4033.PNG
    Nathan Levin and Seadog like this.
  11. jerrytug

jerrytug Member

Pico, taken from the Hot Rocks café 2011, (date on camera is wrong)

• PICT0023.JPG
    Nathan Levin likes this.
  12. KemppiFrog Member

Ah, the Freedom 40 you mentioned:laughing:

Welcome Nathan. If doing bits of ag repair, one tends to need a few amps, which gets expensive with Mig. Arc, less so. A 200/250 amp arc set would probably do, where-as Mig would need 250 or 300 up. Spendy.

Nathan Levin likes this.
  13. KemppiFrog Member

Just read Paulo's links and found the bit about 'up to' 12mm a bit optamistic for a 200 amp machine...Apart from them being the usual chinese units.
    When I had a 150 Kemppi (still do..) 4/5mm was about it for a decent weld. Everything else was arc. I now have a 285amp mig and use it far more than the arc.
    Since you are learning.. It is easier on Mig, less so with arc, but the auto darkening helmets make a big difference. One is less likely to get scared of flash. If you get an inverter arc, then the systems make it easier to start the arc, rather than a simple buzz box transformer unit (cheap, but good) where sticking rods are common when starting out.

Not been to the Azores, but spent many years in Portugal.

Edit: Don't even think about about a steel boat! There are so many cheap do-er uppers on the market now, or even sea ready ones, at a fraction of the cost of making ones. Not to mention.. at 59, do you have enough time left:D to enjoy it?
    I am building a little ply cruiser, also my forth boat.. but it will be on the water this year.

Nathan Levin and jerrytug like this.
  14. jerrytug

jerrytug Member

Yes thanks for making the connection..the 'Freedom Cat Ketch' 40-something, my mate's had lots of issues with the carbon masts's steps, but she seems to have sorted it all now.
    The rig looks fantastic, but the loads are astronomical, because the unstayed masts transmit huge forces into the hull.
    A bit like the difference between a biplane with lots of bracing wires, and a cantilever monoplane where the wing roots are so heavily loaded.
    Also, the wishbones don't have goosenecks obviously, they hang from bar tight halliards which sustain huge loads.
    I will stick with my draggy old gaffers, nothing ever breaks ;) (TOUCH WOOD)

Nathan Levin likes this.
  15. jerrytug

jerrytug Member

Yup, good advice, the cost of the hull is a small percentage of the cost of building a yacht. Steel is expensive, it will take you years, and then you will be too decrepit ( and skint) to sail her. And when you have built her, you will have to begin cutting out rusty bits within a year or two anyway..
    Don't even mention ferrocement..

Nathan Levin likes this.
Advertisements