Hi and a couple basic queries

1. cjordans75 New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum and welding. Ive had a long held interest in it and finally decided to buy a welder to start learning.

Its a basic Clarke MIG gasless welder with a 13A plug. I was wondering if someone could put my mind at ease with the power supply side of things:

My garage is at the bottom of my garden and the supply is just the domestic 13A ring main back to an RCD unit in the house. Will using this welder cause me any problems / is there things I can do to mitigate against tripping breakers?

I am hoping to build a workbench as a learning project so will be using 2 or 3mm thick steel square tubing.

Thanks for your help,
    Charlie

2. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

Hi and welcome to the family
    In my honest opinion I would get rid of the gasless mig I started with gasless, and told by many members not to buy gasless and they were right it was absolutely crap ,

Wany and gaz1 like this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

if you have a 2.5mm wire to the shed or bigger you will be fine to use either your lights or the welder in there or both

extra info you can use a plasma cutter and a compressor
    pillar drill and lathe and many other power tools in your shed

as i do

i have the clarke 150 mig welder so a clarke 151en would be ok for you this gives a good range right up to 5mm as i weld this up myself

4. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Hi, welcome to the forum
    The 13amp supply should be ok and not cause any tripping issues but it also depends on how long your garden is and how thick the cable is to the shed is.

I completely agree with @Shoggi gas-less will probably put you off welding, but if you must, buy a good brand of wire.

Wany likes this.
  5. duncans

duncans Member

Welcome to the forum matey

6. cjordans75 New Member

Hi thanks for the responses. I have a 2.5mm2 armoured cable out to the garage which is 45m long. Where it connects to the ring main I'd guess at least another 30-40m of internal wire before it gets to the RCD unit. I hope that doesn't cause any problems. I guess there is no better way to test it than to just go ahead and weld something... just has me worried about frying something.

From my little knowledge so far I appreciate gasless is probably not the best for long term but hopefully it can teach me the basics and once I've got some confidence I'll look to move onto better things.

Cheers

7. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

its harder to use gasless

as much as its bright as hell it can be dificult to weld with

with it being bright it looks like its burning through when its not on other times its burnt through before you see it

getting the right fluxcore isnt cheap either expensive is the better option vs cheap rolls you get some good but mostly bad rolls been there myself

we did warn shoggi suggested the better 151 and he has it

hows it going with that welder @Shoggi

Wany likes this.
  8. mdr

mdr Forum Supporter

No, keep the gasless "mig". When it turns out horrible you have something to blame other than yourself! :D

Seriously though, accept that all welding it kind of hot and dirty and the goal is to join two pieces of metal together. Then practice on the gasless "mig" and except your are not aiming for a stack of dimes and what you have will get you started.

Get the distance from contact tip to work piece consistent, travel speed smooth (go slower than you think you should), fiddle with power levels and wire feed...all transferable to actual MIG/MAG welding. Then you'll be in good shape if/when you decide to upgrade to gas (regulators, disposal gas vs rental vs rent-free, leaks, flow rates, 5% this or 15% of that - point is even more to learn!).

9. mdr

mdr Forum Supporter

See this "training" video below. Shows the perfect contact tip to work piece distance. Also, make sure to leave that protective clear plastic wrapper on the gun cable - voids your warranty otherwise. ;)

a111r likes this.
  10. duncans

duncans Member

im still learning I use str8 co2 gas as its only hobby I do as its cheaper to buy in the 1st place I've still got a long way to go but im getting better I've run out of gas so I've turned to arc welding im getting a little better at that too I just practice practice practice will get there at the end like everyone as got to start somewhere don't they good luck and enjoy it I love messing hahaaa stops you getting bored with the lockdown oohh I just love that Grammarly it does all the spelling for you so there are no spelling mistakes

11. mdr

mdr Forum Supporter

Tell Grammerly it missed:

That should be it is or the truncation it's and not the possessive form of it. Am I just raining on your joy? :p

Seadog and a111r like this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Charlie :waving: Which Clarke model? Some are capable of mig & mma by swapping connections inside.

13. cjordans75 New Member

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm certainly keen to learn it. I'm currently stood on the back deck of an oil boat watching proper welders do their thing.

@slim_boy_fat It's a Clarke MIG 145 Turbo gas / no gas.

Cheers

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

You're spoiled for choice, then. ;)

15. Marmite

Marmite New Member

Here’s a nice little online calculator for voltage drops.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

I’ve run a 180amp MIG and only tripped the 32amp MCB a few times. Mines a split board with no RCD on that side. Don’t think I’ve ever tripped it with my TIG. I’ve a 10mm cable supplying my workshop.

16. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

It's all good I've got about 8" long piece of plate to weld on my chassis the weather has been great but still waiting for gas from MM I went there last week but a plod was at the door so I had to come home and order online ,(ha ha)

Advertisements