Help with new to me snap on pro mig 185

1. 123hotchef Member

Hi People just setting up my new to me mig and having a few problems the main one being that the gas is flowing constantly is there not a solenoid that should cut the gas off until the trigger is pressed?

Also wire installation I presume it gets feed the wire off of the top of the spool, and is there something missing that shouls hold the 5kg reel onto the holder?

Pics to follow.

Lee

2. 123hotchef Member

31.10.16 154.jpg 31.10.16 153.jpg 31.10.16 154.jpg 31.10.16 153.jpg 31.10.16 152.jpg 31.10.16 154.jpg 31.10.16 153.jpg 31.10.16 152.jpg

3. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Well I think you are missing a spacer for the spool (15kg spool would not need one) Use some drain pipe as a spacer.
    Ref the gas valve. As the torch does not look to be a euro type then there may be a valve in torch OR in side machine. The torch trigger should feel slightly harder to press if it has gas valve in it than if it is just operating a switch BUT if valve is stuck in (on) then you wont feel it! two choices, One take torch apart and look for gas valve or Two take side off machine (unplug from power!!) and follow the gas pipe from rear of machine or from rear of torch asy ans look for a valve.

123hotchef likes this.
  4. Bigjoe Moved to the country!

Hmmm sorry about that Lee, hopefully the valve is just sticking, hope it behaves shortly,I managed to run a 5kg spool without a spacer,it was a different brand though, I'm not sure if it makes a difference. :(

123hotchef likes this.
  5. 123hotchef Member

Thanks for the reply Mike that will be a job for tomorrow then good idea on the drain pipe spacer I like it. I will let you know about the torch.

6. 123hotchef Member

I hope so too cant be wasting gas its expensive lol. I dont suppose you have the spacer for the spool knocking about do you.

7. 123hotchef Member

I sold my 15kg spool to some Essex boy @HMB

Bigjoe likes this.
  8. Bigjoe Moved to the country!

I never had a spacer, ummm I'll have a rummage but I'm sure I didn't mate

123hotchef likes this.
  9. 123hotchef Member

its ok i have a empty 5kg spool here

10. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    If the gas valve is in side machine and sticking then they can usually be striped and cleaned.
    In the 2nd pic the metal slug with a black rubber tip is what seals off the gas. Crap can get in the hole it should seal off or the rubber tip can fail to seal correctly.
    Take apart, clean sealing seat (cotton buds are good for this) clean the tip of rubber and refit.

• 11042013941.jpg
    • 11042013943.jpg
    • operation.jpg
    skotl, Richard. and 123hotchef like this.
  11. 123hotchef Member

Torch taken apart no valve just 2 wires It must be a euro torch. Correct. Next to find gas valve inside machine then. 20161031_200055.jpg

12. 123hotchef Member

that is definitely a job for tomorrow

13. 123hotchef Member

I think the first thing to do then is test the coil to make sure it is not open

14. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    If coil was "OPEN" then valve would not operate at all. IF supply to coil is stuck ON (shorted transistor or relay) then you would have a permanently open valve when power applied. Couple of ways to check. Does gas flow even if NO power applied ? if yes then valve is gummed up/stuck open if NO then apply power, but NO trigger press. Does gas flow ? If yes then coil is being energized by electronic device stuck ON. If NO then pull trigger (gas now flows) then release trigger . Does gas still flow if Yes then stickING valve OR stickING electronic device relay etc.

15. 123hotchef Member

Thanks again for the reply Mike, I am learning, Ok just re checked no gas flow when machine is switched off, when switched on no gas flow until trigger is pressed then one triger is released the gas continues to flow turn machine off gas still flows. Also if the machine is still switched on and the gas is flowing turning the gas off at the reg then turning it back on again stops the flow. So it is just looking like a dirty/sticking valve.

I will strip it and clean it tomorrow do u use anything special on the cotton buds?

16. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    IPA or some other mild spirit even a SMALL bit of WD40 to clean seat and plunger bore then wipe off with clean bud.
    It may well be some crap that was in one of the pipe/reg fitting has got through. Does not take much.

Gan gan 123 and 123hotchef like this.
  17. 123hotchef Member

I might have some in the garage defiantly got brake cleaner and acetone and meths not sure about IPA probably somewhere watch this space!

18. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Brake cleaner is usually IPA

123hotchef likes this.
  19. HMB

HMB Member

Long gone now

123hotchef likes this.
  20. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

It's healthy to get stuck inside your welder, Lee, and learn how it works by having to fix it :)

When you do get it going then I was wondering about the pictures of the spool - it may just be dust on the camera / phone lens but the wire didn't look in great condition to me. Does it have any surface rust on it? Might be wrong - my eyes are old!

123hotchef likes this.
Advertisements