Help with an old ess welder

1. Julian I need medication

Kent
    I need to help a friend who has an old ess welder, a d was trying to find a euro torch conversion socket that can be used with 3 phase, he does have another welder but used to use the ess, and wants to get it working again, anyone have a clue where to get the socket from.

2. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

Try Technical Arc

3. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

I can't see why theres a difference between 1ph and 3ph euro torch conversions the torch would be the same so the euro connector socket should be the same.

The difference will be in the machines internal control wiring surely?

The torch wiring only controls/uses a low voltage switching/latching circuit.

Munkul and Country Joe like this.
  4. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I would think the same - the euro-connector will be the same, regardless of it's primary input.

The main problem is usually making sure there is space to fit the euro-socket at a suitable place on the front face of the welder.
    Which would most likely mean enlarging the hole the original torch lead was fed through.

All the Best,
    CJ

eddie49 and a111r like this.
  5. eddie49 Member

It is worth stressing that the metal parts of the Euro socket are "live" with the welding current, and so all of that must be electrically isolated from the front panel.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Country Joe likes this.
  6. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

That is a valid point, but its still not mains voltage (240v or 415v).

7. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Maybe more to do with the case, especially if it's made from metal, being connected to the mains earth, but despite the welding current & grounding lead being classed as "floating" - or isolated from the mains supply - I wouldn't want to experiment with connecting either of them to the mains supply's earth.

I don't suppose I'd necessarily die from doing it - but I'm sure I heard (on here, somewhere) of somebody having problems along the lines of this issue.

I'd isolate everything as much as possible - but maybe that's just a side-effect of all this Covid 19 isolation that i keep hearing about!

All the Best,
    CJ

8. Julian I need medication

Kent
    many
    thanks it does have a euro type torch but different and just wanted to see if a euro could be used , it is an all metal case so i will get him to get a qualified person to check it out and pat test it before its used.
    and because of the old torch socket therewont be anyneed to cut anything, i know he ws trying to find an addapter as the socket is diffetent to the newer euro torch socket.

thanks for the replies

Advertisements