Help please! Smoke alarm wiring - cable colours...

1. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Hi,

Foolishly I removed an old, broken smoke alarm without taking a photo or note of where the cables went; there's brown, black, grey and green/yellow (earth, obvs).

However its on a circuit with another identical (to the previous smoke alarm) smoke alarm down the hall so I've had a look at that one and the colours on that are:
    Red - Live
    Brown - Live
    Grey - Neutral
    Black - this smoke alarm has TWO black wires and they go to both Neutral and IC

alarm.jpg

With the new smoke alarm cable only having the brown, black, grey and green/yellow I'm a bit thrown on where they go so any qualified advice would be warmly received.

Thanks!

2. hotponyshoes Member

I am not qualified.
    The IC stands for Inter-Connect. You connect this between all the smoke alarms so when one goes off they all go off.
    I do not know if there is any standard colour code for the ic wires though?

Tangledfeet likes this.
  3. hotponyshoes Member

Smoke alarms are often wired into the same circuit as the lights (so you know if the power has tripped).
    Not sure if its helpful to say that but now I have told you everything I know about them. :)

James1979 and Tangledfeet like this.
  4. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Ergo black must be IC... just about to turn off the lights on the board and give it a whirl..!

barking mat likes this.
  5. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

I'd assume the black are ic.

6. brightspark

brightspark Member

well the old colours are red and black which is live and neutral feed . the new colours linked are brown black and grey . brown live grey neutral and interconnected black .anyone who fits them for a living should have sleeved the grey with blue tape and the link black with brown tape :)

Westfield-builder and mike os like this.
Advertisements