Help from guys with paint experience

1. Mike B Member

Looking for someone with painting experience to have a quick look at some safety data sheets and tell me if I'll need air-fed BA to use these paints. Keen not to do myself any respiratory damage, although in this current climate, some volatile content might help! If they can be done in a ventilated area with a normal filter mask I'll do it, if not I'll wait and get someone with the proper PPE to do it in a few months

There are two paints, each is 2 component, so 4 datasheets to look at

All four of these components state "This mixture does not contain any substances that are assessed to be a PBT or a vPvB"

2. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    I think it says in one of those safety data sheets that an A2P2 mask is required - these are the half face masks that you can use for a limited time with 2k products. I bought a branded one a couple of years ago on ebay for £15, but in the current situation you are unlikely to find a cheap one. 3M are the big brand, but I think mine was Gerson. If I recall correctly the key thing is that they are only good for a few hours total use in a 2k environment and must be kept in a sealed bag/box between uses. I just wanted a better mask for using aerosols and they were great for that. I think it depends how much spraying you need to do.

Mike B likes this.
  3. Mike B Member

Thanks Marlinspike. It’s some trailer axles and hubs so not too much and it can be done outside on trestles. I’ve looked at datasheets for tins of hammerite and they have all the same warnings! Waiting for the company to get back to me with a definitive answer before I crack on. Worst case I can get a mate to paint it with air fed respirator kit available, but that’s not until after we’re all allowed out to play again.

4. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
  5. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Parm is your man, he's an actual hse guy so can give best advice. Though a number of people will dispute it but id rather take my chances after advice from an expert

6. Parm

Parm We Will Do Whatever It Takes

Ive had a look at the MSDSs. paints are a two part epoxy based system.

Biggest hazard with Epoxy is skin damage, sensitisation etc. These ones have quite a few respiratory hazards too.

My advice is that all bare skin must be covered up, a disposable painters suit is good, as well as disposable gloves.

A good quality orinasal respirator will be fine if correctly face fit tested and fitted with ABEK1 filters.

However this will leave exposed skin on your face, Googles can be used but these will cause a huge conflict with the respirator.

A neater, simpler and more highly effective solution would be a full face respirator, this will be expensive.

The preferred solution is a compressed air fed painters visor. Once this has been bought all it requires is an air line. No filters to change, no seals to maintain and very few things to go wrong. Also significantly cheaper than a full face respirators and does not require a face fit test. Also much cheaper

The paints listed are not isocyanates.

While MSDSs can be complicated to read and contain confusing information, Section 2 always gives the important health information. They list the key health effects and list pictograms.

The one to watch out for is the head and torso with the symbol in the body. This is telling you its extremely harmful to health. When you see this read in more detail or seek advice if you don't know

In relation to isocyanates, its totally incorrect to be using any sort of filtering respirator at all. This is a pet subject of mine and id be a millionaire by now for every time I heard that a filtering respirator is suitable for use with isocyanates. THEY ARE NOT !!

Filtering respirators rely on your ability to smell and taste breakthrough as an indication that the filter has become overloaded.

Isocyanate group chemicals of which there are three commonly found in paints TDI, MDI and HDI do not have any taste or smell so you would never know that the filter has become overloaded and failed.

Plenty of advice available here
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/bodyshop/coshh-paintspraying.htm

marlinspike, Snowy90 and Mike B like this.
  7. Mike B Member

Thanks for the detailed reply Parm. Luckily we use full-face respirators in work and I believe we have those filters. If it transpires theyre the wrong ones, I'll hold fire and let me mate spry it in his booth instead.

Parm likes this.
  8. Parm

Parm We Will Do Whatever It Takes

If this a work related issue then they should make available and access to correct and competent advice

Snowy90 likes this.
  9. Mike B Member

It's not work-related. I'm lucky enough that work has a lot of very useful and very expensive kit that they let me borrow every so often.

Parm likes this.
Advertisements