Helmet darkening flickers off during weld

1. SailCS33

SailCS33 New Member

Good day all, i purchased a brand new "YESWELDER" helmet from Amazon. Rather a budget one but seem to have had good reviews from others. I thought that since I am just playing around in my garage it would suffice. When pulse option on the welder is "ON" everything works great. However when the pulse is "OFF", darkening turns on and off about every few seconds during welding.

I tried replacing batteries and playing around with the sensitivity settings but even at max setting it doesnt stay 100% on although better than at 80%.

Not sure if they all perform like this or only sub $100 ones.

Please let me know your experiences if you had something like that happen to you

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

even cheapy £20 ebay auto ones work as they should message the seller see what he says

3. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

Pulse mode? This is your eyesight we are talking about. What does the manual say about this feature?

4. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

I assume pulse mode is on the welder?

Try leaving the lid (or the weld side of the auto darkening lens) in direct strong sunlight for a day. It might sort it out. (it did on my expensive Miller lid)
    If that doesn’t help send it back, it's faulty.

SailCS33 likes this.
  5. SailCS33

SailCS33 New Member

Pulse mode is on the welder. Manual for the helmet doesn't talk about welder modes.

6. SailCS33

SailCS33 New Member

Yes sorry i just edited my post to add that clarification. The pulse mode is on the welder.

Looking at direct sun turns on the helmet for about a second and turns it off. I don't have experience with any other model or brand but I thought that it only supposed to respond to a flickering light of a weld and must be turning off if it senses continuous light. Like I said I have no idea how they are supposed to work.

7. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

OK, not clear from your post.
    As above - leave in sunlight and change the sensitivity.

SailCS33 likes this.
  8. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Many low cost helmets are not sensitive enough for DC tig work, they work with AC and pulsed DC because it is quite electrically "noisy" for want of a better description, the raw DC tig is just too smooth to keep it latched in to dark mode,

SailCS33 likes this.
  9. SailCS33

SailCS33 New Member

Ok so i left it out in direct sunlight just now for an hour and absolutely right, it did improve. Looking straight at the sun doesnt flicker it anymore. I guess there is some charge inside in addition to the battery??

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Try increasing the delay time if your mask has this option. I had the same problem with my new tig in when welding DC. The delay keeps it dark for that little bit longer till the mask decides it still should be in dark mode

11. hotponyshoes Member

Leave it in the sun all day.
    There is probably a rechargeable battery inside it and the solar panel on the front charges it up.
    I expect it's been sat in the box in the dark in a warehouse for a while.

12. Cheesie Member

Even expensive ones can do it, certain types of fluorescents can cause it

ScoobyMick and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. MichaelE New Member

As above. Fluorescent light strip. It happens in my garage when I'm under or nearby a light strip.

14. SailCS33

SailCS33 New Member

Thanks everyone. Mine was faulty. It did work as expected for few minutes after "charging it" but then started doing the same thing even looking at the sun. Replaced it and now all is good.

Cheesie and Stupoty like this.
Advertisements