hello all im new to this mig welding

1. duncans New Member

hello how do i get argon bottle fillied as ive just bought a mig welder very cheap its a old one but im sure it will work ok ive got take some wire off the spool as its not that clean but the spol is a big one lol.
    Well the chap hasnt used it in a long time but ive got the argon bottle but not sure where i get it filled any help would be great i live in leicester if that helps .

2. barking mat

barking mat Member

Hi mate, welcome.

Argon? I think you'll want co2 mainly to start learning.

What does the bottle say on it.

Generally, rental bottle, rental free bottle, or disposable. How big is it?

Halfords sell little bottles.

3. eddie49 Member

Is there any indication on the empty cylinder who owns it or who supplied it, and what date, if any, is on the plastic disc under the valve?

Yamhon likes this.
  4. barking mat

barking mat Member

Argon is just for stainless and aluminium ect.

Mild steel co2 with a hint of argon iirc.

Ashley Burton likes this.
  5. duncans New Member

hi mate ill take a picture of the bottle its about 2 1/2 foot tall mate as i only got the mig welder 2nd hand yesterday its quite heavy so im assuming theres some argon in the bottle
    theres also 2 guages that sccrew on the bottle .

6. duncans New Member

i need to get a mask as well seen some post on here about masks lol gloves as well

7. duncans New Member

just went and took pictures of the bottle 4FBBBB7E-0C1C-4653-86A2-FACB0A2A6EAD.jpeg 8E7784A0-7A26-4C05-880A-9A49B687CDDD.jpeg 8E7784A0-7A26-4C05-880A-9A49B687CDDD.jpeg

• E8544375-FCC5-4F3E-9274-DB5068F4F3F4.jpeg
  8. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    That's pure argon, no good at all for mig welding.
    You need either CO2 or Argon/CO2 mix.

Yamhon and Ashley Burton like this.
  9. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Other way round Mat :thumbup:

Yamhon and Sean like this.
  10. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    When it's Argon or Argon mix there is not a lot of difference in the weight! With CO2 there is as it is stored in the bottle as a liquid

11. duncans New Member

thank u for telling me im like i said new i will learn haha there is one on ebay which is mixed hes wanting £150.00 for it but its to big as its the Argon Co2 Mig Welding Gas. Condition is New
    230 bar full

12. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    Air Products! thats a pretty ancient bottle.

13. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    Id not be buying a 2nd hand bottle because you dont know whats left in it and the bottle may not be his to sell.

Theres plenty rent free deposit only for that sort of price- new sealed bottle
    Or get on the BOC which incurs a £50 yearly rental as well as other charges - look in "Welding gas" thread

Yamhon likes this.
  14. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Argon + CO2 mix IS what you need. The problem with the one you are quoting is again getting it refilled when it is empty. It might be that that one is a type that can be refill but you need to be sure.
    Another option would be to use straight CO2 only. This will require a different connection on the regulator (that has come with your welder?) You could then use pub gas (make sure it's straight CO2 and not a beer mix) or a CO2 fire extinguisher turned up side down works as well. See pic (bit crude but cheep).
    You have not said what make and model of welder you have yet.

• 20190101_143012.jpg
    barking mat likes this.
  15. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    That is worthless to you, as soon as you've used the gas up you won't be able to get it "refilled" anywhere without opening up a rental contract.
    (Refilled is a common term used on here but in actual fact it's an exchange service, you take an empty back and they exchange it for a full one.)
    My advice is to do it properly with an agent, buying a second hand one just isn't worth the hassle anymore.

Yamhon and Dcal like this.
  16. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

SGS Gas is a good option if your not welding that often

davidjohnperry likes this.
  17. duncans New Member

hi mate its a old mig welder as its my 1st one i got it extremely cheap this is the picture mate Screenshot 2019-12-26 at 21.50.24.png

18. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Nice sturdy unit. So long as works then should be a work horse. Main thing to watch for is having the spool of weld wire "external" it will tend t rust if condensation settles on it or grinding dust gets on it. Use an old bead sheet over the machine (and wire) to protect even if kept in a garage/shed. Once you get use to using it you will be able to whip the spool off and keep it bagged (and in the dry) between welding jobs.

Yamhon and Dcal like this.
  19. duncans New Member

hi mate well the guy who i got it off had not used it in years he said after getting bowel cancer so we plugged it in and it went click and the wire was feeding through great
    well i thought a bargain at £25.00 to learn how to mig weld lol

20. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Well if it works then yes that's a very good price. One other item you may need to get is a new liner for the torch as it's had wire sat in it for some time. Item is a consumable. Should be £10 for one on ebay (make sure yo get the right length) can't tell if that is a 3 or 4 meter torch. You can cut a 4 meter liner down to 3 but not so easy to grow it :whistle:.

andy28 likes this.
Advertisements