Harrison lathe

1. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

D540217F-C228-42A8-AE07-9ADEFB6D9D23.png D540217F-C228-42A8-AE07-9ADEFB6D9D23.png 4F70330F-20CC-46E0-8B0A-D0D956976BAD.png 4F70330F-20CC-46E0-8B0A-D0D956976BAD.png 2DA7F741-038F-4B20-8907-8F668B3D2DDE.png E34294E1-E376-4DD2-97C7-DE041B407C43.png 79825579-1E40-4AD4-BE7F-430F7AB1E350.png This lathe has come up for sale near me it’s 3phasd so would need converting to single phase, it’s £1000
    Do we think it’s worth that or hang on and wait for a better one to come Along all advice welcomed. Thanks
    29AFA357-3014-4806-9497-491C7DBE5E10.png

doubleboost likes this.
  2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Hard to say without seeing better photos.

Fair bit of work in that, it’s sat for a while so will need a lot of work with wire wool, Wd40 and rags to get it into a useable state.

3. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

So would I be better off waiting and looking for a better one or taking a chance on this one in your opinion

4. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

looks a big heavy lump to move, would need a large inverter, what do you want the lathe for? I have an old round head student and it does everything I want, especially screw cutting, mind I am no engineer, just an old fashioned bodger, I have a single phase motor in my student right now but am looking for the 3 phase I took out years ago to reinstall, would have the large 240v motor spare soon,

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  5. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

I think I might let this one go and wait for a 240v one and a bit better condition, I want a lathe I’m able to grow into, rather than buying a small piece be and then wanting to change it in a few years

6. brightspark

brightspark Member

just get something a bit smaller if something in good nick comes along at the right price it will sell on fast at a good price .I waited 3 years before the Harrison came along cheap :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Newlands Member

I can’t tell whether that is a 13” or 15” version of this model - I’ve got the 15” long bed model. Never regretted buying it. Mine is 3 phase with a 2hp motor, and I run it off a cheapanese inverter (had to dig out the star point in the motor to wire it in delta). For £1000 it looks reasonable, subject to a look at the wear surfaces under the film of rust and grime. Mine cost more than that, but didn’t have the rusty look!
    I wouldn’t turn down a lathe because it was 3 phase - it’s very easy to convert to single phase and most Harrison’s were sold to schools and light industry so you might wait a long time for a 1 phase model to turn up. By the way, mine weighs in at 1 ton, was delivered in a van and lifted out with an engine crane (a decent German model not an eBay special!).

8. MBB Forum Supporter

Can only see a 3jaw chuck. by the time you buy the 4 jaw and accessories the price would escalate greatly
    I had the smaller model it was very quiet and had a clutch and very easy to use I wasn't all that keen on the cross slide but I thought it was a good lathe.

9. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

What size is the smaller model and what’s it what’s the smaller one called

10. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

That's the 13", the 15 has a foot-stomp brake bar along the front.
    Not a bad lathe at all, if it's in good nick (it's 50 - 60 years old, depends how it's been looked after and used/abused)

Dave H. (the other one)

P.S. the motor's probably only 2 or 3 HP, so well within the range of an inexpensive VFD with all its advantages - and it can probably be rewired in the terminal box for 230v 3-phase as they were exported to Uncivilised Parts with 60Hz mains...

eLuSiVeMiTe and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. Carl Wilson Member

Shame because it's been a good machine. Still could be given the TLC. I hate to see machines like that in such a sorry state, caused by nothing more than lack of attention.

Depends what you want. If you want a project that will cost time and money to restore, if it's not too far gone, then go for it. You will end up spending money on buying new chucks and other accessories, 4 jaw, steadies etc. It will take time but you will know it inside out by the time you are done. Check out RDR and his posts regarding his Harrison M300 project to see what can be done with time and dedication.

If you want a lathe to go to work straight away then avoid.

12. Newlands Member

Interesting that it has a 127t intermediate gear, and the thread chart is labelled in imperial units. It may be that it has a metric leadscrew. As the others have said, it would be useful to have a 4 jaw chuck (maybe there is one behind the door. I see it has the gap piece (on the tray below the tail stick) - something that definitely mustn’t be lost! Can’t remember what the spindle bore is but it’s fairly generous - a fixed steady is useful but not was necessary as on many other lathes.

If you’re looking for a Harrison that it ready to rock and roll, and with all the extras, expect to pay at least double, maybe triple for an M300. Unless you’re very very lucky.

13. MBB Forum Supporter

The lathe I had was a 13" I still have the manual somewhere. It didn't have a number it just said 13" the manual I had said 12" buT it was the same lathe I think the headstock was d1-5 I think the change wheels were 1.5 module Ithought they were better than the m 300.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  14. Carl Wilson Member

I have to say I'd be sorely tempted to buy it and restore it, provided the bed wasn't too bad corrosion wise.

Hopefuldave and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  15. Carl Wilson Member

If you really want one of these, there is one on eBay right now. Has all the accessories with it and is £2000.

A steal.

Hopefuldave and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
Advertisements