Hard Chroming - anyone in the know?

1. T.E.D. Jordan Member

UK -Cumbria
    I've talked to three reputable hard chromers and they've all said you can't hard chrome st/st plate...

But...

I've seen it done before I'm sure! Anyone in the know about Hard chroming?

Also has anyone rolled 2mm sheet that's been hard chromed? Is it possible to roll a slight arc in the sheet without the chrome layer cracking off at all?

Jordan

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Why would you want to chrome stainless, just buy polished.

3. T.E.D. Jordan Member

UK -Cumbria
    We use polished on this job already, we're having a problem with aluminium picking up on the surface, when running over it.

Jordan

4. bigbadbugga

bigbadbugga Member

Liverpool uk
  5. julianthegypsy Member

Definitely possible, industrial centrifuges are stainless and have a hard chrome ring that butts against a seal in the middle. The chrome stops the bowl contents from sawing through it when its emptied at 5000 g's! The bowl ports also had hard chromed inserts for the same reason. You'd want to do any shaping before it was chromed though...

6. T.E.D. Jordan Member

UK -Cumbria
    Without a word of a lie I spoke to frank at that place today and he said that it wasn't possible?? I didn't delve that far into the website tbf I rang and asked the question when that company came up on google after I searched hard chroming and sent pictures when I found a contact email on each...

What it basically is is two 700mm wide 2mm steel plates that are rolled into 3 radius' to create a 'fall' into a machine between which product passes. It's accurately fabricated to within a mm and the internal surfaces just require hard chroming before assembly.

Jordan

Advertisements