Handrail advice

1. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

My next project is to put a handrail up this external staircase as we’re now using to get to the storeroom (new door, yes I know it needs painting!).

The steps are all a similar size but not exactly the same about 27cm x 160cm; I’m planning to forge the uprights from 14mm square bar in an L shape and drill horizontal holes in the end of each step and secure them with a two-part epoxy resin - I’ve made a jig to keep them vertical whilst it cures. Handrail is 40mm x 15mm with a recess on the underside which the uprights will sit in - I’ll weld these.

A couple of questions arise - should I use one or two uprights per step? I’ve seen both round here - I’m concerned that in the UK it wouldn’t meet building regs as they’ll be too far apart, and am I going about assembling this the right way? I did considering fabricating it in one piece but without a crane it will be nigh on impossible to lift into place, but am concerned about getting everything aligned properly doing the uprights first and then fitting the handrail (and I haven’t welded overhead for over 40 years).

9A6F5688-CDE4-4E3B-8D60-3C0AE6E7A935.jpeg

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Why so many uprights, it's not an indoor staircase ? Get some tubing and key clamps and just put a post in top middle and bottom

mike os and Windy Miller like this.
  3. Mark 2 Member

I would have thought either 3or 4 in total would be enough.
    That said, I'd be looking at this and thinking what a wonderful blank canvas there.

4. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

‘Cos that would be horrible!

The mayor stopped by today (he patrols the village every day around 10.00am) to see what I was up to - across the field behind the house is a chateau so everything within 500m is ‘listed’, effectively the whole village, so I have to make sure whatever I do is in keeping with historical local practice.

mike os, nickk and magnet like this.
  5. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Looking technical notes, its based on gaps cant recall sizes of top of my head.

6. Mark 2 Member

The Mayor? Whereon earth do you live, Trumpton?

bletchmonster and Windy Miller like this.
  7. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

One of the ‘delights’ of France, just about every town and village has one, and unlike those in the UK these have power, and it doesn’t pay to cross them!

mike os likes this.
  8. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

Oh boy didn't realise you are in france, certainly an interesting system they have

9. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Subject to design criteria in your area, i'd face fix 4 or 5 posts and put a handrail on to top and leave at that, unless you have kids about.

10. Dcal Member

Whats the norm where you are?
    I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel, just copy something from a similar local building.
    Its a great opportunity to get creative but if it's too radical the locals might not like it so a subtle variation on a theme seems like a good idea.

Could be a really nice project

wyn and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. MysterG

MysterG Member

Might not be the right way but if it were me I would erect a wooden 'wall' at the edge of the stairs so that I could attach the uprights to it to hold them all in the right place until fixed.
    And allow you to draw on design to get an idea before hand.

Mick Annick likes this.
  12. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

Three year-old turbo-charged grandson...

13. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

That’s what I’m aiming for - don’t want it to stick out like a sore thumb but will make sure it’s subtly different

14. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

The top of your head doesn't have to fit through the gap[, that's the rule :D

It's not that high, he'll bounce :ashamed:

You could drill a couple of holes in the face of the riser on each step and fit the upright to the front, weld a piece of plate to the bottom with slotted holes to give some adjustment for height then use studding into the hole or rawl bolts.

Mick Annick likes this.
  15. Lee Wire

Lee Wire Member

I posted this a few months back
    Might give you some ideas for your project

• 378B108E-118C-45F0-808F-8017243C14F9.jpeg
  16. jimbo84 Member

Staircase rules indoors for the UK are that a 100mm sphere can't fit through any gap. Outdoors in France I'd have no idea but I bet they're not as strict.

Mick Annick and Lee Wire like this.
  17. nickk Forum Supporter

In good old uk,if it’s attached to the building it’s subject to CE marking regs and building regs,knowing France its all down to common sense and practicalities.

slim_boy_fat, jimbo84 and Mick Annick like this.
  18. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

As long as the mayor likes it I should be OK! He’s been for a look at the metal and what I’m trying to do and is happy so far.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

Some progress made, though not much - had a steel delivery three weeks ago but they were short of one length of 14mm square bar, no problem says the driver, I’ll drop it off next week, no sign of him since and guess they’re in lockdown like the rest of us. I’m only short of two uprights for the top step, got the bits cut for the landing, and handrail is ready to go.

CEEC44B5-8247-44B5-A289-4A5784F9FD47.jpeg

slim_boy_fat, Dcal, MysterG and 2 others like this.
Advertisements