Handling solvent

1. norsa

norsa old school painter

Sorry if I seem to be bombarding you with questions but since coming back to the profession full time after a twenty year break, things have moved on a pace and in particular on the HSE/ PPE front. Has anyone come up with a way of gun cleaning without soaking your hands in gun wash? Std latex don't last a minute and chemical resistant are too thick to keep control of delicate gun parts. In the past, I've never bothered about what it's doing to my skin but I'm mindful that my trainee is 19 and should be teaching safe practices.
    Nick

123hotchef likes this.
  2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Would passing the gun parts through an ultrasonic tank do the job? :dontknow: [genuinely don't know, just thinking outside the box :ashamed:].

3. norsa

norsa old school painter

I've not considered it but if it doesn't work.. knackered or at least blocked gun. Interesting idea though

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

PM me the MSDS for your solvent, I’ll have a look which type of gloves will be best. I suspect nitrile but worth checking.

oh, if you value your skin. Immediately put all your latex gloves in the bin

Also, if you haven’t already, worth investing in a gun wash machine. It recycles the solvent

metalmelt, James1979 and mike os like this.
  5. norsa

norsa old school painter

Not my business and a cleaner has been ruled out Parm. It's just a standard recycled toluene as far as I know. My skin has taken a hiding over the years as I've never worn gloves for anything.

6. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Nitrile should do it....

7. norsa

norsa old school painter

Aha. Which ones do you use. I used some nitrile and they fell apart in seconds

8. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

hi Parm, interested to know the reason, can you share “in simple terms” please.

Lewis_RX8 likes this.
  9. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

10. norsa

norsa old school painter

11. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Ask your paint supplier... they should have something

12. Lewis_RX8

Lewis_RX8 Member

:o , interested to know a bit more behind this aswell

steviec_lj, Parm and James1979 like this.
  13. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

They won’t last indefinitely in gunwash, but I don’t think there’s a thin disposable glove that will, it’s more about finding the one that lasts the longest.

pedrobedro likes this.
  14. norsa

norsa old school painter

They are very reputable and could only come up with a marigold type. They work ok on the gun but not so good at handling small parts and the needle or fluid tip dropped on the floor is not a good way to clean a gun.

mike os likes this.
  15. Parm

Latex contains a protein that is a very well recognised skin sensitiser, it causes latex allergy. It was Highly prevalent in the health care sector.

also latex has a minimal breakthrough for almost all the solvents we are likely to encounter.

Nitrile is by far the best substitute for latex. It’s not allergenic, doesn’t cause dermatitis and affords much much much better breakthrough when compared to latex.

This is a generalisation but in my world it’s always better to check the solvent as nitrile isn’t always the right choice, then you have to look at the weight of the glove for the task in hand

16. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

Cheers Parm

Parm likes this.
  17. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I've found this as well, some gloves I had just turned to jelly as soon as they got a whiff of gunwash. The blue nitrile seem to last a bit longer but they still dissolve.

18. Parm

Reputable for supplying paint, but what about H&S advice?

19. norsa

norsa old school painter

Reputable. Been in business about 40 years

Parm likes this.
  20. Parm

Like I said, what about thier experience of giving advice on gloves. Plenty of choice available for all paint solvents likely to be encountered. Different weights and abrasion resistance too. Do they know ?

mike os likes this.
Advertisements