GYS easymig 160 Vs Clarke 151En

1. Rusty B New Member

just ordered a brand new Clarke 151en for about 280 and just minutes later a gumtree seller got back to me offering a GYS 160 in v.good nick for 350 plus shipping..

should i cancel the order and go for the GYS? .. anyone had experience of both machines and could advise ?

many thanks,

Russ

2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

it all depends on what you can afford at the time also factor in the extra gear

500.00 just to start mig welding is alot of money depending on the welder you buy

lets say used same reference you can drop the price to

250.00 becareful of your welders sellers arnt always truthful best to test if they are working

new price with mm vouchers

i know gys is rated on here so is rtech machines as well

ive also noted people who buy cheap to dear machines cant get the hang of mig welding its an high end expense if you cant do it

3. Rusty B New Member

Thanks Gaz... points taken .. i'm no expert but i have a couple of projects under my belt and i've definitely been bitten by it! - and i got the money from a funding body (for a bit of public art) so its not really my money and the grant would just about cover the extra hundred on top of all the other bits an pieces

but yes.. no warranty with the second hand machine and its miles away so id not be able to test it - but the guy says its "excellent condition"

https://www.gumtree.com/p/welding-equipment/gys-160-amp-inverter-mig-welder/1370767819

i like the flexibility of changing the torch and possibly using a stick further down the line.. seems like there would be more controll with the GYS although the Clarke says it should be good for up to 5mm steel - i gather that might be a little bit overstated where as i think the GYS reckons 4mm is about the max ..

4. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

most brands will only do up to 5mm

i have a cebora 195 and thats guaranteed to do 6mm from richard on the forums

and ive still got to use it yet

Rusty B likes this.
  5. duncans

duncans Member

hi there was a guy who actually bought the gys 160 mig brand new where I purchased my thermal arc 211i and he said he wasn't happy with the duty cycle of the gys mig he was using it doing welding on barges im not sure if he was wanting to use the welder all day long lol but you really want to try the welder out your self to make sure like gaz said they will tell you anything so you buy it in the 1st place mate

Rusty B likes this.
  6. Neil Burton

Neil Burton Member

Hi Rusty B,

Something to consider when buying any welding machine is:-

if there's any issue or possible fault with the equipment, can I get it easily and affordably repaired?

Does the manufacture of the equipment have a UK office where I can seek help and advice?

The answers to both above when considering GYS is ..YES!

GYS have a UK office and warehouse facility based in Rugby Warwickshire. With over 30 persons working for GYS UK including an Aftersales and support division, trained service engineers are on hand to offer expertise and knowledge on all GYS equipment, as well as advise on Spare parts and accessories.

The EasyMig 160 or 160 XL offers great welding performance from a portable Inverter welding machine that importantly, with the aftersales and service backup means its a maintainable machine offering a greater life span and a good investment.

I hope this is of some help...

kind regards,

Neil burton

7. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I've got the Easymig 140 and I'm very happy with it. I've welded 5mm steel with it and it's just got the power so I'd say the 160 would be fine.
    The guy welding barges with it was probably using the wrong machine as the plate on them is heavy old stuff and probably needed more power!

8. Neil Burton

Neil Burton Member

hi dobbslc,

Nice to hear you're pleased with the EasyMig 140.

I have some experience with Canal barge structures and I would agree, based on the material thickness used, the Easymig 160 would be a little low in amperage and a 200 + amp machine would be better suited.

best regards,

neil

Advertisements