GYS 200 4.XL Tig Torch

1. Ian-Essex Member

Hello All,

Just purchased a new 200 4.XL machine and looking to purchase a tig torch, I remember reading somewhere that this machine offers something special in terms of accepting a certain type of TIG torch?

Is there any truth in this or this just a strange dream I've had?

Mainly what I'm looking to find out is, what is the right / best tig torch to use for this machine?

Thanks - Ian

2. Neil Burton

Neil Burton Member

Hi Ian,

GYS offer two options for Tig torch connections on the MultiPearl 200-4 multi process machine.

upload_2020-5-26_12-16-46.png

You have the option of a standard Dinse type connector with a Valved gas outlet. the 2nd option is the purpose built Binzel torch with a Euro plug connector which simply screws onto Euro connector where the Mig torch would normally fit. This torch then has full gas control and is triggered through the Euro pins, making it much easier and convenient to use. the part number of the torch is the 046108 number.

I hope this is of help...

kind regards,

Neil

Ian-Essex likes this.
  3. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I'd spend the extra on the gas control option, you'll have a much much better time of it :)

4. Ian-Essex Member

So does this mean you would not require a foot pedal, sorry this is all new to me, please can you describe the problem(s) this solves and the benefits of the Euro option - Thanks Ian

5. Neil Burton

Neil Burton Member

Hi Ian,

you don't require a foot pedal on any machine. a foot pedal is an option to have more control over the welding amperage so that the weld can be continued rather than stop to let the material cool or change the settings before continuing. The Multi pearl doesn't have an option for a foot pedal, although its a multi process machine, its primary use is MIG/MAG with output options for Tig and MMA.

The Euro fitment Tig torch means the welding arc is triggered on the handle of the torch and the gas is also triggered through the torch. A valved tig torch connection means the torch is constantly live and gas is controlled by opening/closing a valve on the tig torch handle.

I hope this helps...

br

Neil

Ian-Essex likes this.
  6. Ian-Essex Member

Would it be normal practice to use a foot pedal for dc tig......I was told not as I noticed this device didn't have a foot pedal socket therefore I didn't see it as a problem. I was told a foot pedal is mainly used for aluminium which is obviously ac tig. Is this correct?

7. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

The foot pedal has nothing to do with the choice of current for TIG welding, most dedicated machines have the option for one but yours doesn't. They can make your life easier as you can ignite the arc/adjust the current on the fly but as you don't have the option I wouldn't worry about it. You will just adapt to your machine and will become a bit more familiar with the current settings than you might otherwise be if you had the pedal!

I would also suggest as others have above that you get the TIG torch that plugs into the euro connector as it will be far better to have a switched live torch rather than one that is constantly live and also get the advantage of the machine's gas solenoid. I move between valved and non-valved torches on different machines and it is a real nuisance arcing up and realising you've forgotten to switch the gas on....

Neil Burton and Ian-Essex like this.
  8. Ian-Essex Member

So most would still use a foot pedal even with DC Tig? It was just the information I was given was the opposite......

9. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Most Americans would, I would say pedal use is much less common this side of the world whether AC or DC.
    I never use a pedal and mainly weld aluminium, it is just not practical to use a pedal unless seated at a bench.

Neil Burton and Ian-Essex like this.
  10. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Exactly what Hood said. Americans seem to think you can't TIG weld without one, and prefer the "feel" of the welding arc - like a manual accelerator.

In the UK, most people will use a switched torch and set the start amps, slope up, main current, slope down and end current on the machine. Then it does it all for you, like cruise control, and you don't have another thing to trip over/keep moving about.

Any decent length of weld seam at all requires a constant current level for consistency anyway, so a set main current (or a max current on the pedal) is a better idea.

The exceptions to this are:
    Copper and aluminium heat-soak,
    Small parts heat up fast
    When the whole workpeice is hot, it requires less amps to do the same job.
    - so after the parts have heated up, you'll have to turn the amps down 10-20 amps manually on the machine. It's really not a big deal.
    For very fiddly and delicate work, a pedal will be better, to be fair. I've only ever tried one once, and still don't actually own one for any of my machines.

The biggest deal (to me, anyways) is to be able to slope down, end current and have post gas on the weld until it's cooled, to stop stainless from oxidizing. You can't do this easily with a "valved" torch. With the "proper" switched torch for the GYS machine, you won't have HF start but you will be able to terminate the weld current with a button and have post-gas.

Ian-Essex likes this.
  11. Ian-Essex Member

I will put the order on for the euro tig torch and get practicing....thanks for the advice everyone.

Hood likes this.
Advertisements