grinding or milling a slot in stainless ?

1. chester dylan

chester dylan Member

Im looking for a sutable wheel to put in my surface grinder to grind a shalow slot in stainless steel so far iv found out that i cant get 416 in sutable size but i can get 306 so iv decided to go for grinding basicly iv got to make a track for 2 pairs of bottem running bifolding doors the slot in the threshold is 15mm by 5mm deep and the joiner whos asked me to make this wants 8mm by 4mm deep chanal.
    iv found out that i need a wheel thats free from iron sulpher and chlorine.
    is there a beter way of doing this iv not done that mutch work with stainless befor but i no its not the easeist to machine unless you have 416

2. MattH

MattH Member

I'd be looking at milling that will a carbide endmill using flood coolant with a couple of passes.
    Why are you thinking of using a surface grinder? I'd would of thought you'd have to take a lot of passes.

3. MattH

MattH Member

Edit: slot mill.

mike os likes this.
  4. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Stainless work hardens very quickly. Be confident and cut it in as fewer cuts as possible. If drilling you want a nice sharp good quality carbide bit and keep the pressure on. If you take it nice and gentle you will find it gets too hard to cut.

mike os likes this.
  5. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

I think i would be getting 1.6mm stainless sheet folded to suit the Chanel needed, always pack the extra width with silicon/adhesive etc

6. chester dylan

chester dylan Member

thanks for all the replys
    im wondering if i could get away with brass it has a 20mm omni track stainless ball transfer unit running in it
    simular to this
    [​IMG]

7. langy

langy langys rodshop

By far the easiest and accurate way is to mill it, anybody could do it easily

8. Pete.

Pete. Member

You'll never grind that slot. The wheel will round off it's corners and the heat input will bend the part like a pretzel. Gordon has the right idea, fold it from sheet.

9. chester dylan

chester dylan Member

i dont have a way of folding it my choice is an xy table on a good piller drill or small serface grider eather way i will have to move the work on the bed 3 or 4 times to get the 1.4 meter lengh
    i like to try and do things my self but its looking like il need to get someone elce to do the job

10. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

MattH likes this.
  11. MattH

MattH Member

You'll never mill SS on a pillar drill. Don't even try it.

Richard. likes this.
  12. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

^^^^^^ he's right there. Not a chance.

13. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Yup, its hard enough to do to in a proper milling machine. Don't let the tool rub or it will work harden very quickly.

Richard. likes this.
  14. chester dylan

chester dylan Member

thougt so iv had some sucsess with milling brass befor on the drill just dont no if it will stand up to the weight of the doors or is it going to crack if i make the slot to deep and not leave enough meat on the bottem or will i have problems with it being to soft and denting or even is there a problem with running a ss ball in a brass chanal had a look at the u section but theres allready a 15mm slot there and i think the wall thickniss is to thin

15. MattH

MattH Member

I would think that the brass would wear to fast with a stainless ball running in it.
    How long does the channel need to be?

16. chester dylan

chester dylan Member

1.4 meters

17. penfold

penfold Ambassador plenipotentiary

Cut the groove in brass but make it 1mm or so deeper than needed, then bond a suitably wide strip of 1mm S/S(or if you're feeling lucky size it for a push fit and tap it in carefully) in the bottom to take the wear. Regardless of how you do it joiner man is going to have to make the slot in the wood deeper than 5mm, unless you revisit the suggestion of having it folded up from sheet. A decent folder can do this if you can find a machine shop willing to do a one off.

18. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Can you not buy/steal/ borrow the runners from some other sliding type door and modify.

Have you looked to other industries for runners such as yacht rigging..... I know they do very funky ball bearing cars on rails, i know as i fitted some to a mast for someone.

If the type of door had been done before so will the rail.

19. johnser

johnser Member

20. chester dylan

chester dylan Member

in case anyones intrested hears a pic of the doors in question

[​IMG]
    this hole build was a nightmear i work for the builder who built this for about 5 years and my frind (the joiner) was contracted to make thease 4.5m oak windows with bifolding doors at the bottem.
    Anyway the builder didnt want to pay for the corect hardware and a suliton was found with ball transfer units and in the end aly chanal was used which was never going to last a year or so later the builder took the joiner to cort over it. I had quit working for him by this point due to his bad atitude and the fact he said he was taking the joiner (my frind) to cort the judge through the case out
    and now the client has asked the joiner back to fix the doors

Advertisements