Good old Colchester mastiff

1. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    I had a no fun job in last night.
    Needed to be done by the morning. To tall for the mill though I did mess about for a few hours.
    I got up at five this morning and decided to use a lathe. Now my big fancy dsg and Lang have great big high saddles so no go. Now my abused Colchester mastiff has a tiny saddle as in essence it’s a 7” lathe with a big headstock . This meant it would fit and the nos English made Pratt burnerd Chuck is spot on. Put some studding through the bore to make sure it stayed in the chuck!
    This is why Colchester had such a huge market, fifth of the price of a dsg and versatile
    D4A71838-A52D-4C60-AF71-99E14B0C44CF.jpeg D96854C9-A695-4B0B-8188-59F7438792E2.jpeg

slim_boy_fat, Mattuk, Seadog and 2 others like this.
  2. scottmk1

scottmk1 Forum Supporter

I think you hit the nail on the head there, it's the large capacity given the relatively small footprint of them that makes them so popular, probably price too.

Brad93 likes this.
  3. minimutly Member

Versatile indeed, I should have taken a pic of the tractor brake rotor in my Triumph - not something I'd want to repeat.
    What did you clock that up on? I've given up on brake disks unless They fit my mandrel, so much time to set up, and still sometimes it fails.
    I like the apron stop - does someone make them or should I just make a pair?

4. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Just seen this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274432308109

5. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Colchester made them, along with an indexing turret thing on the cross slide for it to bump up to, for knocking out small production runs. Here's the diagram from the Chipmaster manual, a little smaller than the Mastiff one but same principle.
    15951630603128624827479499444168.jpg

6. minimutly Member

Those are like the one on my miller - no dro so I do use it sometimes. I was thinking a singe stop ( like the one @pressbrake1 tagged) - but crikey, that's a bit pricey?
    Maybe I could adapt/make a mount for the fritz werner one for the triumph

Maker likes this.
Advertisements