GMAW Wire Selection for 14NiCrMo13-4

1. Mohsenp New Member

I want to select an Esab GMAW wire for this material : Material: 14NiCrMo13-4 , equivalent code is
    BS S 157

Would you please help me.

Note: Shaft (14NiCrMo13-4) is under sever wear. I want to repair the wear sections on this shaft with GMAW.

Could you please tell me which Esab wire code is suitable for Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) on this shaft?

2. Robert Mullins Member

Try emailing esab directly, they'll either help directly, or out you in contact with their local rep

3. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

4. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Its a case hardening steel....You wont match it so youre looking at build up and hardfacing but unless you do the whole shaft it will be different where its been repaired and that could cause problems. It all depends on the size and what its for. The best solution would be to replace it like for like.

5. Mohsenp New Member

Dear friend,
    There are 2 catagories of case hardening steel, surface carborized and soft anealing. In those whose surface is carborized, repair with welding is not recommended, but welding on soft anealing is possible, I think. Is it right?
    So, I try to choose a GMAW wire for softanealing surface.

6. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

As far as I know there are 2 ways to case harden........by adding Carbon or Nitrogen to the surface (often both) by heating in an atmosphere rich in these elements (cyanide)..........or by rapid heating so that only the surface reaches the transformation temperature and then quenching to form a layer of martensite at the surface

The steel mentioned is designed to be case hardened by rapid heat....flame hardened or induction hardened........so Annealing it would soften it and return it to its original form.......Yours has been worn away so needs to be rebuilt with a filler thats very near to the original....this is not available as a welding consumable (as far as Im aware)......therefore you have to consider using a different way ie build up and hardface

7. Mohsenp New Member

Thank you very much

Advertisements