getting back into it...

1. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

so i havent really welded for quite a while now apart from filling a few holes in some tin mudguards and welding a few bits of square bar together...but i can see a fair bit of welding in the future what with looking for a LR and a dirt track car...

so ive got a fairly good amount of 3mm durbar checker plate in the garden that i can chop up and use as practice material, but im struggling to think of how to set up practice joints to maximise my metal and my practice time...

any suggestions?

ronan likes this.
  2. Cut out squares and build cubes,like dice?

brokenbiker likes this.
  3. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

could stack plates like fallen dominoes and do double sided lap joints?

Problem with car bodywork is that it's so different to "proper" mig... you'll sometimes get a proper bead in but more often than not it's better to do a series of short stitches to avoid overheating and blowing through.
    An open root butt joint would be as close to car stuff as you can get I think... maybe with a 1mm gap, if you can get a full penetration weld right through nice and evenly without lumps or holes, then you should be good to turn it down for thinner stuff and have a fighting chance. That would be my approach, anyway :)

stuvy likes this.
  4. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

BB.
    If you want a pile of thin sheet to play with I have a mountain of Off cuts you are welcome to.
    I think Im just up the road from you. Tycroes just off the end of the M4.

5. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

i will be dealing more with 3-5mm for the dirt track car, what with sump guards, tank guards, reinforcing the chassis etc...i seem ok with the body work side of things, i se the mig slightly hotter than i maybe should do but give it quick blasts and stitch everything...i also work in a back step pattern...will weld maybe 2 inches at a time but back step the next run

thats a little bit more than just up the road...im virtually bang on j24...but that said im up in your neck of the woods fairly frequently

6. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Let me know by pm if you are over this way

brokenbiker likes this.
  7. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

will do cheers

Advertisements