Genny running small Tig ?

1. W.olly

W.olly Member

Hi all

Got myself a Clarke PG2500 genny and a Cros Arc 220DHF Tig welder.

How do i work out if the genny will run the welder on low amps, like <60amps ?

I was just going to have a go but not sure if it damage anything of the genny or welder?

Just want to some SS welding on the new boat if i can with out fetching parts home.

:)

2. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Id be hecking if the welder is generator friendly, some are, some are not. Also when you strike up you generator will need to ramp up to take up the load, so it will also depend if the AVR can ramp up quick enough

3. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

4. bwservices Member

60 amps,especially on tig,should be okay.
    if you can use the upslope function even better.
    but its still a Chinese inverter,so it could blow

5. W.olly

W.olly Member

Thanks guys, all over my head this and dont want to blow anything, i will leave it and see if i can mark the fittings out and to it at home.

6. W.olly

W.olly Member

Just end this, i called the company i bought the welder off and they said they will ask the manufacturer.

Come back as it will run off a genny but a 7KVa, so my wee 2.2KVa is not exactly up to it.

I thought with it being a inverter type it would be ok of a smaller genny but it still needs the full wack to kick start it.

Oh well lots and lots of marking up and measuring so i can make the boat grab rails and raer deck frame at home i guess.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Bobo Member

8. Bobo Member

I have no idea about the calculations on this, but my 150amp mig runs pretty well off my genny. Though it is 5.5kva...

9. W.olly

W.olly Member

that sounds about right if mine is a 200 amp and needing a few more KVa.

i did consider buying a bigger genny but just paid out for this new 2.2KVa one.

10. Bobo Member

The difference is physical size and weight is very big aswell.
    One person can lift a 2.2kva genny, but not a 5.5kva. It weighs just under 100 kilo...
    Mines a recoil start aswell, if it were electric start it would obviously
    be even heavier still.

Advertisements