Gas Nozzle, which type for MIG welding ALU ?

1. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

The Polish e-shop weldes.de has 3 different types of gas nozzles for the MB-15 torch,
    Conical (narrow 9,5mm dia), Standard (12mm dia) & Cylinder (wide 16mm dia). See bellow pics.
    Which one is best for welding ALU? Using my poor experience from TIG welding, where a wider gas nozzle produces better results, I conclude that the wider one (cylinder) will be the best for MIG welding ALU, or am I wrong ? Has anybody experience with narrow or wide nozzles ?
    10x-mb-15-gas-nozzle-shroud (1).jpg 10x-mb-15-gas-nozzle-shroud.jpg

2. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

It is MB36 I use but I find the mid sized one (which you don't show) is best.

ScreenHunter_733 Aug. 20 16.29.jpg

SV1BDO likes this.
  3. Always use the biggest diameter you can, will improve gas coverage

SV1BDO likes this.
  4. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

Thank you both for your replies. I have to agree with @backpurge, as while I made some tests welding alu with a new double pulse MIG, I had black smoke only on the upper part of the welding (the bottom part was shiny clear), so I think that a wider nozzle will improve gas coverage.

5. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Be interesting to see. I thought that as well and ordered some straight ones in and got a disappointment :D
    Maybe I should have upped the flow but as I already work around the 17-20LPM I thought that should have been plenty.
    Maybe the smaller torch will make a difference though so looking forward to the results.

Advertisements