garage alarm

1. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

If you look at the photo, there appears to be a slide switch at either side, I should imagine it will be switch off within the set time or the alarm goes off, or smash it under your boot would also switch it off of course:whistle:.

2. DanielW

DanielW Member

Illegal booby traps,well your barb wire is illegal,sir...needs a notice in place saying !!Warning!! barbed wire on wall.. :whistle:

3. cumbriasteve

Only if it's next to a public highway and set lower than 2.4 metres

4. Cyberprog Member

Sod the barbed wire. I'd be more concerned with the bear trap. Actually, I'd have one, if it wasn't for the dogs and the girlfriend. One or the other would end up getting snapped by it...

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

no its not ilegal . i own the field behind it its to keep the stock in namely sheep and its a wire fence :laughing:

6. DanielW

DanielW Member

7. That says it's not advisable, it doesn't say it is illegal.
    It's the same as if I dig a massive hole in my garden and don't cover it up and a trespasser falls in I could be liable for their injuries. It's not illegal to have the hole, it just leaves me open for a claim for not providing a duty of care.

brightspark likes this.
  8. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

providing a duty of care to someone intent on doing you harm in any sort of way is just another one of our stupid laws that seem to protect the crook and not the victim, its about time that a law was passed that if you kill an intruder that has forcefully gained access to your property then you are within your legal rights to do so

sparkysy, Shox Dr and bash'it like this.
  9. cumbriasteve

10. brightspark

brightspark Member

correct next time someone hurts himself on my fence il invite him in sit him down treat his wounds and give him a cup of tea and bicuits and give him some compensation :rolleyes: like s..hite if he gets in he wont get out . ive been beat up once it wont happen again

bash'it and the snooper like this.
  11. I agree, it's a bag of s***e. I have to have liability insurance on my woodland in case a trespasser injures themselves on my land. Madness!

12. DanielW

DanielW Member

Picture this.

We have all seen those cops&robbers programs on the tv where the cops are in persuit of the car thief or house breaker,thief is scurrying over residents back yards/garden walls,its pitch black and the thief scales one of walls and is cut up badly.
    End result he gets caught and does time and in between there's his solicitor sueing the person that had the barbwire on his wall....you can have the barbwire on the wall but its at the owners discretion,it is illegal but the law will not state categorically its illegal.

In otherwords you will be fined and suffer damages when it comes to light.

Why put yourself in a position where it may hurt your pocket at some point in the future.

13. brightspark

brightspark Member

as i said my place is classed as a small holding with livestock in field and its to contain them ;)quite legal :whistle:stupid im not

sparkysy likes this.
  14. Being sued for damages and something being illegal with you being prosecuted are not the same thing.

15. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

What ever you decide. A Digital Baby monitor is a great addition

brightspark likes this.
  16. brightspark

brightspark Member

especialy if theres a sound bomb fitted :owake the dead up. just make sure its off if wifeys listening in or in my case it was a punter at work and she was nice :whistle::ashamed:well caught out

17. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

CybP
    "Sod the barbed wire. I'd be more concerned with the bear trap. Actually, I'd have one, if it wasn't for the dogs and the girlfriend. One or the other would end up getting snapped by it..."
    Thought you meant if she or the dog got to them first, when we were broken into I used to announce it's me darling Before i went in, she took to sitting in the lounge with the carving knife & lights out.
    I think she was waiting for the return visit :scared:

brightspark likes this.
  18. Maker

Maker King in the North

Winterfell (Well, Sheffield but it's starting to feel like it)
    I had always thought you can if they are a threat to yours or your family's lives i.e. they're carrying a weapon
    One of my teachers once brought in (Don't ask why) what looked like a bear trap, she later explained it was a poacher trap:o. Apparently it closes more slowly than a bear trap and it was common practice by gamekeeepers.

19. dunk Member

dont forget the spikes in the bottom, oh and get up early to get the quickset concrete in

Wendelspanswick likes this.
  20. Jan

Jan Member

I modified an old car alarm, powered by a couple of old mobility scooter batteries kept charged with a tiny 12 volt adaptor, to protect my shed. I wired it into a key switch and a simple normally open contact switch on the single door. I specified 'no windows' for added security when the shed was built. As the alarm system included a vibration sensor it meant that any attempt to gain entry by any means would set off the alarm. In fact just mowing the lawn down the side with my old put-put petrol mower would set it off if I forgot to disable it first! I then wired an old Klaxon car hooter into the flasher output of the system which was loud enough to rouse the dead - or even me when asleep!

When my new workshop is completed I intend to buy a new car alarm and modify it in much the same way, but this time with more door switches to cover the extra doors. There are still no windows as such since half the roof panels are clear, corrugated plastic which allow in all the daylight I could wish for. A standard 'closed loop' of adhesive backed security tape should be enough to cover the fragile plastic panels.

Advertisements