galvanized...any tips?

1. mspence0000 Member

decatur , al
    Hi guys today at work I was welding on some galvanized for the first time and when I was welding together frames and I was having a little trouble, anyone have any secrets or little tips for galvanized? thanks.

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Yes. Grind off the zinc where you need to weld. And wear a suitable breathing mask, galvy fumes are lethal.

3. jolly_roger187

jolly_roger187 Member

Nottingham
    What kind of trouble where you having with your welding?
    Arc stability should be O.K. and generally unaffected by the galvanized coating, thats asuming you dident grind the zink off?
    The major difference between welding zinc-coated steel and welding uncoated steel is the need for higher heat input to remove the zinc from the weld pool and lower welding speeds to burn off the zinc coating at the weld area.

4. Nial Member

Edinburgh

I've got some spray on weld through zinc primer that I'll be using and
    welding through soon.

Does this present the same health and safety hazards as welding galvanised
    steel? There isn't any particular warning on the tin about welding with it
    and it says it's 99% zinc.

Nial.

5. jolly_roger187

jolly_roger187 Member

Nottingham

Yes.... The zink will evaporate into harmfull vapours, be sure to weld in an area that is well ventilated.

6. Nial Member

Edinburgh

But you can't MIG when it's too well ventilated or you'll lose all your shielding
    gas.

I should probably get a reasonable face mask, but then getting this on
    under a welding helmet when you've also got thick welding gauntlets on
    will be a pain in the a4se.

Is this stuff that hazardous for those of us who aren't doing this for a living?

Nial.

7. Hitch

Somerset
    Yes, im afraid so Nial.
    You shouldnt have any trouble welding in a well ventilated area, unlesss you have a draught blowing directly at you.

You could put the mask on, then your gloves Nial :idea:
    Nobody like wearing masks, but if you dont youll be sick as a dog if you do even only a small amount.

You are likely to sufer from 'metal fume fever' you get a pain in the kidneys and chest, aching joints and other flu like symptoms. They might not appear for a few hours after, and can last anything upto a few days.

8. Nial Member

Edinburgh

Just like the after effects of a good stag weekend then :-)

Do you have any pointers to a good safe comfortable mask that won't
    break the bank?

Nial.

9. Hitch

Somerset
    I would reccomend the 3M 9332, or 9925 but they are both expensive.

Try here... http://www.simplyworkwear.co.uk/acatalog/aaaa.html Look at the Moldex 2405, never used them myself, but they seem much cheaper than the 3M ones, and they come in packs of 3.

10. nellway Member

London
    zinc fumes

If you have a powerful extractor fan you can draw off some of the fumes, but it is always wise to take all safety precautions. You can always redo a dodgy weld, you've only got one healthy body.

11. ^neo^

^neo^ Member

Surrey
    A small fan behind you will do it. Your body will shield the argon from the air the fan blows but the airflow from the fan will blow any fumes away.

Galv is a pig to weld anyway, make sure you give it a good grind off and you should be ok!

Advertisements