Frustrating day

1. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Just spent hours polishing and stoning the gap piece - cleaned all the mating faces on the lathe - used a tiny but powerful magnet to get swarf out of the screw holes etc etc. Put it in place - 1 of the bottom bolts has a stripped thread in the lathe bed! So annoyed and no access from underneath to get a nut under there - I think. The other bottom bolt won't engage either.
    Don't know if it even needs to go back in - certainly not with the 4 jaw in place but possibly with my Jacobs collet chuck.
    What a waste of a few hours!
    Oh and I tried to machine a few mm off my Sandvik lathe tool. My R8 facemill I bought a while ago won't fit into the mill - the screw thread inside isn't long enough. Tried using a normal endmill and not cutting well and loads of nasty noise - I suspect the Sandvik body is hardened?
    GGrrrrr:doh:

2. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

These things are sent to challenge us, if it was all straightforward and easy we probably wouldn’t do it.

Pull the gap pice back off and see what’s going on, could a longer bolt reach to some good thread? Or could you use a thread insert? It really needs to be bolted down nice and square to stop any rocking / crud getting under.

Parm likes this.
  3. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I think the problem is the gap- was removed at a very early period in the lathe's life and was never put back due to the stripped thread! There is enough meat there to drill larger holes and use the next size bolt up. Whether I will get around to it is another thing. I probably will eventually as it will never stop annoying me now!

The back bolt screws in fine when the gap isn't in place. The front bolt is stripped.
    Just found a nice video of a Colchester gap piece.

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

stick an angle grinder on the tool underneath if its hardened :laughing:easy enough to get it accurate with a bit of patience

fizzy likes this.
  5. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    No no I now need a J+S 540 :laughing:

indy4x and galooph like this.
Advertisements