Front wing prep

1. series2joe Member

Sheffield, UK
    Hello,

I am looking for a little advise. I am preparing a van to repaint. I often use synthetic paint respraying machinery and have resprayed a few vans in synthetic with good results, but I am only painting the bonnet and one side of this, so will have to get the local paint supplies to match the colour - I believe they will supply me with 2 pack. This is where I get confused, in which primers to use.

I have blasted the front wing earlier, and cut / welded a patch in. It needs a little filler work to smooth it all up. If I was using synthetic, I would now fill onto metal, sand, prime, wet sand then top coat.

But what order should I do in 2k? And which 2k primers should I be using? I’ve tried doing a bit of research but it’s a minefield!!

Your help would be appreciated

Cheers

2. Ruffian Member

2k wants 2k primer really as helps minimise reactions in my opinion.

Roller 2k primer would be my option on a van wing. Scuff back off with 500 then paint.

stuvy likes this.
  3. series2joe Member

Sheffield, UK
    Ok thank you for the reply. Would you recommend filler onto bare metal, then epoxy primer on top? Or prime first then fill? And can I then use hi build on top of the epoxy?

4. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

2k will go straight on top of standard primer no problem high build included you can still fill straight onto bare steel, epoxy is great primer but more expensive, the choice is yours

brightspark likes this.
  5. Ruffian Member

Filler is ment to go onto bare metal.
    Stopper/finishing glaze can bridge metal and paint. But sometimes can help cause shrinkage.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. keithski122 Member

uk
    New thoughts are filler on top of epoxy then reseal again with epoxy.

Ianb and anjum like this.
  7. anjum Member

Nowadays I epoxy prime first then fill and sand and then epoxy prime again. I use lechler 2 pack epoxy which has no isocyanates.

8. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    how good does it need to be /how much do you want to pay

cheap /nasty option...will go over any old cheap celly primer or rattle can stuff

etch and 2k primer bit better /dearer

epoxy best protection ..and yes its the thing these days to prime with epoxy then do the filler , or onto bare metal will work too , its just the primer may seal any pinholes on the welds etc before filler

9. bert Member

I doubt they will supply 2 pack to you as a single use customer.

I always etch prime before filling.

10. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

You can walk into a body shop supplier and buy it no problem

11. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    ebay will sell you whatever you need

Advertisements