Free Telwin 180/2! Where do these 3 wires go?

1. Henkie Jansen New Member

Hi everyone!

I got a free 180/2 turbo from work a couple weeks ago! The machine wasn't working when i got it and someone had changed some things: there was a 24v solenoid for the gas and there was a stripped wire hanging out. Also the welding gun had a busted up euro connector but the machine had a different connector. When researching the machine i came across this topic: https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/telwin-mig-180-2-convert-to-euro.63036/ about someone converting a 180/2 to euro connector so i ordered a euro connector, new telwin welding gun and a 240v solenoid.

Today i wanted to install the new parts with the information from the topic but i saw that my machine is different. I'm also confused about the the wires the 24v solenoid was connected with and where the stripped wire belongs. Can someone please help? IMG_20191101_163427.jpg IMG_20191101_163435.jpg

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

what parts do you have with the machine ?

as it look s like its got no rectifier plates in its build there

3. Henkie Jansen New Member

Thanks for the reply! I think i have all parts with the machine, the rectifier plates are also present too but not in the pictures.

4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

Memmeddu likes this.
  5. Henkie Jansen New Member

Thanks for the download! This doesn't answer the question though

6. eddie49 Member

Do you know what was originally wrong with the welder, before it was stripped? Personally, I wouldn't order replacement or upgrade parts before being sure that the basic welder power circuit is O.K. ... for example, if the main transformer is shorted, repair will not be possible.
    A MIG machine should not overheat and blow the mains fuse just by being powered on and triggered on, without any actual welding process going on.
    Are you sure that the rectifier is OK, and connected correctly? Depending on the power control setting, you should see about 15 to 30 volts AC on the transformer secondary, and about the same DC out of the rectifier.
    A diode in the rectifier may be shorted - try opening one connection from the secondary to the rectifier and check if the fuse still blows.
    Is this machine fitted with smoothing capacitors across the output? If so, try temporarily disconnecting them.

7. Henkie Jansen New Member

Thanks for the help! Just to be clear: The welder wasn't stripped at all, someone just added a 24v gas solenoid where the machine originally had a mechanical gas valve. I can test the machine as soon as i know where the 2 wires marked 'EL1' and 'EL2' go.

As you can read in the other topic i linked 24v doesnt work because the welding voltage varies with the setting of the selector. I suspect the machine was set on the side when the 24v valve wasnt working as intended.

8. gaz1

gaz1 Member

Memmeddu likes this.
  9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

Memmeddu likes this.
  10. Henkie Jansen New Member

I think you are linking the version 2 of the machine. As you can see the control board is much lower on my machine then the manual you linked. Also the 24v transformer is missing as you have noticed. I've attached a picture from the manual of the first version of the 180/2 and the electric diagram from the same manual. As you can see it's the same as the pictures of my machine i've posted in the first post. I've also attached the full manual of the machine, which i believe is the same version as the machine i own.

No components have been added or removed except for the gas flow valve that was attached to EL1 and EL2. I removed that valve because i've read in the topic 'convert 180/2 to euro connector' i've posted in the first post as well that 24v solenoid isnt going to work because of the voltage changing, depending on the setting of the main selector switch. I suspect the 24v solenoid valve wasnt working as intended and the machine was abandoned by the person who did the 24v solenoid modification.

I'm just trying to find out where EL1 and EL2 were originally connected. I believe that when i connect these the machine will work as intended again. Otherwise all help identified missing components, or measuring the voltages of the machine, or any other input is more then welcome!

Memmeddu likes this.
  11. gaz1

gaz1 Member

is your machine a telwin or a sealey supermig

which model do you have should have a model number on the back

oh another note its known for some to change the insides to another machine

12. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

As I understand this you have a dead machine you believe was working before it was modified and then bits removed?

Personally I would forget all about drawings and part numbers things rarely match 100% as things change through production.
    Start with a little basic wire tracing.
    Break it down into logical steps and processes, its a basic machine.
    You have a Primary and Secondary welding circuit, wire feed speed control and motor, a control voltage Primary and Secondary circuit and a gas solenoid.

Before you get any more involved how about rebuilding the rectifier and making sure the main transformer powers up ok, on all ranges.
    Then make sure the control transformer is ok and you have a feed out to the wire feed control unit.
    From this stage, you should be able to get the unit welding. Then use a relay to power your gas solenoid whenever the wire feed is energised.

13. Henkie Jansen New Member

No, not at all. No bits removed and not a dead machine. I guess im doing a terrible job of explaining.

Machine fan starts up when plugged in. Has current everywhere it should where i tested. Wire motor works. Timer function works. Wire motor speed adjuster works. Welding power selector switch works. All the electronics are the same type of wires, have the same type of numbers printed on the wires the same connectors and look like they are all factory parts. All the tyraps look the same and look if they havent been removed ever. 24v transformer is labeled exactly like the electric diagram i posted earlier. Main selector switch is labeled exactly like the electric diagram i posted earlier. All the connections to the main PCB are the same as in de electric diagram.

My only questing is: someone has added a 24v solenoid. I dont want the 24v solenoid. Where do the two wires that were connected to the 24v solenoid go? It's ok if no one knows: After a lot of searching i found the electric diagram and the manual i posted earlier and i will just follow the wires to see where EL1 and EL2 connect to. I just thought maybe someone had such a machine laying around and would be able to find the answer easily by opening the machine and taking a look...

Advertisements