Fordson Dexta restoration

1. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

I bought this Fordson Dexta about 8 years ago as a 'project'....
    Every so often I turn my attention to it and do some work on it, usually over a Christmas.

This is as I bought it, from a farmer. Unloved and whilst not neglected, everything was well used and quite worn. It did have a flat nose though!
    253026_10150323240384517_4506471_n.jpg

I have totally rebuilt the engine, the transmission and every part of the tractor has been taken apart, parts replaced as necessary - with second hand OEM parts where possible, and rebuilt.....including tig brazing frost cracks, sorting out all the bent tinwork, obtaining and refurbishing a Sta Dri cab, cleaning off tonnes of paint, rust and grime. This was what I found under the bonnet under half an inch of muck! 621065_10151603543154517_1308912352_o.jpg

This is how it looks now - last bits of primer going on the engine and the first coat of Empire Blue going on. A question....I've used Tractol paint - it goes on lovely with a brush on the rough castings and gives a hardwearing finish. I am however going to put a second coat of Empire Blue on as the first coat doesn't quite cover the primer.

I am putting off painting the tinwork - this is all sheet metal items and the 'bits you see' when the tractor is finished....so need spraying. The last coat on the tractor and the tinwork obviously need to match each other - Is the Tractol (single pack) paint any good for spraying or am i better using a two pack? Can I then use the two pack to brush-apply for the last coat on the castings?

thumbnail_IMG_5031.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5032.jpg

Seadog, eLuSiVeMiTe, Paul. and 8 others like this.
  2. arther dailey Member

looking good, they are a great tool, like the fergie 35/135 soo usefull on small holdings etc.more pics are always nice to see...

waddycall and Welderpaul like this.
  3. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Looks good.

A nice slow rebuild.

The paint job looks good.

One point of care. The engine lifting plates. Check them for cracks, if you have not already.
    A local guy doing a little Grey Fergi at my friends farm didn't.
    One broke, only pride was hurt.

slim_boy_fat and Welderpaul like this.
  4. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

My brother was into vintage tractors etc, Your Dexter is looking good, look forward to seeing it finished,

Welderpaul likes this.
  5. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    Looking good Paul, I think you a bit ahead of me at the moment :)

Tractol is standard synthetic paint so can't be cut back like cellulose or 2 pack paints. But you can get good results spraying, but what you end up with your stuck with.

Or you can brush it and by adding a touch of Owatrol oil you can extend the time you have to keep a wet edge and reduce brush strokes.

Not sure if you can put two pack on top of synthetic, never tried.

My plan is synthetic primer and two coats of synthetic top coat on most castings, mostly brushed.

But on steel and aluminium I'm using lechler epoxy undercoat followed by two coats of synthetic top coat, all sprayed.

I'm using similar paint to you, many of the vintage tractor paints are rebadged Tractol or another brand, I think its Witham paints.

Welderpaul likes this.
  6. Welderpaul

Photo from a similar angle during strip down.

What a mess - left the oil draining overnight into the red bucket in the background - the oil ate through it and I found 30 odd litres of oil/water emulsion all over the garage floor. Moved now, so its ok.:cool:
    736122_10151603813764517_1766400908_o.jpg

7. Welderpaul

Thanks - the greeny/grey Tractol primer i got with it is horrible. With brush application it very quickly drags back off - you have to put it on and leave it alone. Stinks to high heaven and can only clean brushes with acetone. After a bit of fiddling and getting used to it it is coming out ok, and dries very hard.

I should be ok spray applying a lechler epoxy undercoat and two coats of the tractol on the tinwork?

8. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    You don't need an air fed mask for the lechler epoxy, just the right respirator cartridge, I forget which one and I'm still eating sausages and drinking beer in Germany so can't check easily. But I spray downstairs in the barn where there's loads of ventilation too.

Spraying epoxy and two top coats on tin work is my plan. You can roller epoxy, and people have had good results but I haven't tried it yet. I may do this on the battery tray and a few other bits that don't get seen unless I have a gun full at the time. Any filling should be on top of the epoxy I've been told.

Cheers
    Andy

9. Turbo Member

I have been using Tractol paint for years on everything from gates & railings, agricultural machinery & I've even painted my stock car with it.

It brushes on very nicely but it also sprays very nicely too. I use a hvlp gravity gun, it wastes a lot less paint. For my 1.4mm gun I add around 10% thinners, if it doesn't spray nicely I add more thinners.
    BTW You NEED TO USE tractol type 5 thinners, anything else & the paint turns lumpy!

I have found the tractol primer to be ok to brush on. It helps to thin it a bit first but as you found it dries very quickly & it's hard to keep a wet edge but that applies to any zinc primer. I would persevere with it as it seems to have a good zinc content it it. I have used it on railings & it has kept the rust at bay for a good few years.

If you've found the primer hard to apply, don't even try to brush on 2 pack, it's nearly impossible. The only way you can brush it is to brush on the colour first then brush on a thin layer of hardener.

Advertisements