Ford crossflow oil pump in a series block

1. minimutly Member

anyone know what direction this turns? If anticlock, anyone got a spare used one lying around? I want to see if I can fit it in the distributor hole in a mini block so I can use a good but otherwise useless auto block.
    Free would be good, postage paid with a couple of beers etc.

2. sasquar Member

poole dorset
    i dont have one (an oil pump i mean, i do have a mini though! ), but im curious as to exactly what youre trying to do?? From memory, converting auto mini engines to manual, you just need a spacer plate to allow you to swap the oil pump to a manual one (from the oil pump point of view, anyway... theres a fair bit of other mods needed, but i know that the manual engines are getting harder and more expensive to find, so perhaps its becoming worthwhile these days......)

3. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

minimutly and sasquar like this.
  4. sasquar Member

poole dorset
    ^ thats almost certainly the guide ive seen before, albiet some years ago now!!..... never actualy done it myself, although i do have an auto block that i probably should convert at some point, so bookmarked....

minimutly likes this.
  5. minimutly Member

Thanks to all here, never seen that conversion page before, but have contemplated doing it - it's a lot of work on a late block - none of the drillings are there and while it's doable the risk of cocking it up is considerable. I wouldn't be using a dizzy, so the hole for the ford pump would be there waiting....

6. sasquar Member

poole dorset
    youre still going to have to figure out how to get the oil to the pump, and then the oil from the pump to the galleries, which isnt exactly straight forward.... Having read that page again, i think converting the auto is actually pretty straight forward in comparison, althuogh to be fair, im also the same idiot that decided to diy the k head conversion rather than buying one of the kits available, so im probably not the best person to judge :) ......

7. minimutly Member

Yeah, would still need to get into the PRV, and the filter, unless it's all remote. Which means adding external pipework.
    The good thing is that conversion process backs up much of what I thought I'd need to do, but I never knew the prv bobbin was cross drilled. Even then, none of it is difficult tbh, so perhaps get some ally plate in and get machining.
    The block will fit in my miller, so once I make up a jig based on a normal block it would be easy to drill.
    Re the kit - I looked for the morspeed guide - they went belly up yrs ago apparently, the sc one is £20. There isn't much that you can't make yourself, but the contoured cam end plate looks nice - it doesn't look like you can "dip in" and buy certain bits.
    Being able to weld ally is definately a plus, maybe I will make a start and just plod on.

8. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

getting hard to find!!
    Is a metro 1300 motor worth anything.
    Needed a bore, but after sitting outside for 30years will be well shagged.

9. minimutly Member

Put it on ebay, it will sell.

Advertisements