Ford Capri 1983 1.6 Cabaret

1. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

hi Oneoff

For some reason ive never noticed this thread ... ive had a 2.8 inj capri when i was 20ish ... i bought it on the drip and when i did there was a brooklands 280 next to it for 3k more (substantial cash 20/25 years ago ) .... i couldnt stretch that far ;(

Is the Cabriolet conversion a factory job .... I dont ever think I have ever seen a converable capri (except yours) in my life .

Malc

2. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Its a Cabaret not Cabriolet. as in Sally Bowles.

There were Crayford Softop conversions available, but in my opinion spoiled the look.

3. Onoff Member

:) Look closer!

Not a Cabriolet but the CABARET model. As the Capri's death bell was sounding they brought out a number of special editions; Tempo, Calypso, Cabaret, Cabaret II and the GT4. All sheep in wolf's clothing. Take mine; two tone metallic, 6 dial dash, tinted glass, rear wash wipe and boot spoiler. All topped off with a 1.6 Pinto and Ford's very own VV carb.

I do have some poor photocopy plans for a cabriolet Capri though...I could scan if anyone's interested. Involves a box section along the sills and gussets from sill to the rear arch and A post from memory.

4. black bandit Member

I've owned a couple capris 1st being a MK1 1.6 that couldn't pull apart a paper bag And a late 83 2.0 S in black with the silver S on the side. great fun to drive on wet roads:o:o A mate used to work for a company that did aftermarket soft top conversions and stretched vehicles

"stuff two 2" box sections under the floor then chop roof of it" was his description of this highly delicate operation of turning a Capri in to a rag top

funnily enough the description for extending a lada riva?? was take 3 Lada's cut out bit we need. stuff enough 2"box section in between front half and the back bit then weld it

the company has long ago closed and sadly he died last year but reading this reminded me of him thanks:thumbup:

5. BarrieJ Member

Yeah, I understand the ethanol issue affects some older carb diaphragms and fibre glass fuel tanks on old kit cars too.

6. Onoff Member

Not in the picture is a black, 1983, 2.0S shell. Bought for £120. No engine or back axle. Cat C (light, front end damage). No log either which was promised but never materialized. All legit.

Another story for another thread. Basically I saved it from having a V12 shoe horned in.

Plan is to go pretty much factory on the Cabaret and cut my teeth on that. With the S shell who knows!

7. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Cabriolet Caberet

Easy mistake to make after a few :drunk: lol .

Now you come to mention it I remember a neighbough part ex'd a 2.os against a calypso model A reg is spring to mind .

Often wondered why ....

Malc

Swap you a night sleeping in the MG for a night sleeping in the Capri lol

8. Onoff Member

The Capri wings are brazed a little bit at the headlamp bowl / front valance junction.

[​IMG]

I've got leads and gauges for oxy acetylene but no bottles!

I tried my plumbing MAPP gas torch. Deffo gets hot enough but the flame isn't concentrated enough to melt the braze.

71976_P.jpeg

Is there any way to mod the MAPP gas nozzle?

Cheers

andy_v likes this.
  9. Master fettler Member

Brings back memories of when me and the wife were courting, first we had a mark2 and then a mark1. Loads of welding on the mark1 and grey primer when we sold it( kids came along) Still miss it now 26 years on Nice to see another one restored. Fantastic cars to drive love them!

Advertisements