FM140-A TIG conversion kit

1. Mr.Murgle Member

hello to all again, i was wondering if there was anyone here that ever used the TIG conversion kit for the snapon 140 mig welder. if you have, do you have any idea where i can get it? (ive already googled it and couldnt get a solid answer) thanks for any help

2. hotrodder Member

SE England
    Never used it but think it would be a complete waste of money... MIG is constant voltage (CV) while TIG & MMA/stick are constant current (CC), very basically with MIG you set the voltage and amperage varies related to wire speed (and dia) while with CC machines you set the amperage and the voltage varies with arc length. This is why you can use pretty much any DC stick welder as a basic TIG machine and all 'proper' TIGs come with a free stick welder built in.
    Multipurpose machines that do MIG, MMA and (basic) TIG can be switched between CC and CV and when in CC mode (like CC machines) the volt/amp curve is often changed or is adjustable as ideally you want slightly different behaviour for TIG and MMA explained in more depth here... https://www.millerwelds.com/resourc...nt-current-cc-dc-welder-for-training-purposes
    The FM140-A is waaaaaaay cruder giving a few 'heat settings' from the voltage control and scratch start with an on/off switch on the torch along with a manual gas valve as the machines gas solenoid is bypassed in [cough]TIG mode[/cough] and will be harder to use than a cheap MMA inverter with a valved TIG torch. Probably more spendy too due to Snap-On tax?

premmington likes this.
  3. Mr.Murgle Member

For a second, I had my hopes up but i have already seen the page on snap on with the tig pack. I can find the full set up on ebay for about 200$ which is a lot more realistic to me. I was more hoping that someone here has used the tig pack and if they have used it, how do they like it. thanks for your time though. :)

4. premmington

premmington Member

That is so true!

Oh.. Good post Hotrodder. All info is there, if they care to look further than the Snap On badge!

hotrodder likes this.
  5. Mr.Murgle Member

kool. thanks for the reply guys.

Advertisements