Flux core

1. Mr chris

Mr chris New Member

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice.
    I would like to try flux core welding and was wondering if pure argon is the best to use, or is using a gas all that necessary ?
    Secondly, will flux core wire say 0.9mm run ok in a standard wire liner or do I need to change the liner ?
    Cheers chris

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Flux cored wire doesn't require gas, that's the whole point of it, although no doubt there will be some special occasions where it does :dontknow:

The liner should be OK, but if you can't get a 0.9mm nozzle, then go one size up to a 1mm (or drill a 0.8mm one out)

Parm and 123hotchef like this.
  3. 123hotchef Member

what flux core wire is it?

4. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

I'm using flux core atm and the 0.9 wire fits in the existing 0.8 tip just fine. Although you can get 0.9 tips for a variety of MIG guns on Ebay if required.

5. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

I know that you asked about flux core wire, but there is also Dual shield wire requires gas as well as the flux inside the wire wire. just for your information,

Parm, 123hotchef and Yamhon like this.
  6. Mr chris

Mr chris New Member

Thank you for the info, I was looking at just flux core 0.9mm wire proweltec. Currently have 0.8 and 1.0mm tips, so I will try that thank you

7. Monkey Puzzle New Member

If you’re using a dual shield wire, where you have the flux you would also need gas. The one we use is Argon 80% CO2 20%, at BOC it’s called Specshield,but you could also use the argoshield gases (heavy, light and universal)

8. Mr chris

Mr chris New Member

Unfortunately I don't use boc, but I will look into what gasses my supplier has, thank you for that.

9. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

If you are going to use no-gas flux core wire, you have to change the polarity of torch & ground.

eddie49 and Yamhon like this.
Advertisements