Flicker free, dimmable mains lighting?

1. Kram

Kram Member

Does not seem to exist, and Im fed up with it. Having lights on full drains my energy, my eyes cant take it. No problem with sun light, only indoor lighting. I have tried several dimmable bulbs, and branded dimmers. Current is a BG dimmer, Osram LED bulbs. Half the time they pulse, changing brightness every second, but often much quicker.

I might have to convert it to DC led panels. Problem is that I'd have to hide the power supply/driver, and need to find some kind of wireless controlled driver or boost circuit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. tom2207 Member

jimbo84 and Kram like this.
  3. veesix Member

UK
    Fluorescent tubes with dimmable HF ballasts?

4. daedalusminos Member

If your dimmer doesn't have a separate neutral feed then it will require a minimum load or bleed resistor to function correctly - try changing one of the bulbs to halogen to determine if this is (part) of the problem

barking mat, zx9 and mtt.tr like this.
  5. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
  6. cheb Member

I'm not being sarcastic, for once:D, but what stops you fitting lower powered bulbs? Or more fittings and only turn on enough to be comfortable, and more if you need brightness.

7. Kram

Kram Member

They are lower powered bulbs. When Im tired I want very little light, one turned right down. Others want burnt retinas all of the time and will have all six lights on whenever possible.

I bought 3 Varilight dimmers from TLC - cant remeber who recommended but, thank you. They work, no ficker. Little slow to respond but its ok.

One of the old ones, a great example of British production Im suprised it didnt burn the house. The pcb is terrible, traces ending 10mm before the component, so the leads are long, and there is a diode soldered direct to one leg with the other end arcing against the others.
    [​IMG]
    Ritelite, Fotherby Willis ltd, Leeds.

sparkysy likes this.
  8. sparkysy

sparkysy If it pays happy days!!

The varilight dimmers are very good, also zano are a good one, had good flicker free dimming from both, getting compatible Led lamps and dimmers is a complex task and can be a minefield! The zano came with a list of compatible fittings with the dimmer!

brightspark likes this.
  9. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Good dimmers and good lamps.

brightspark likes this.
  10. brightspark

brightspark Member

varilite dimmers and decent branded led bulbs. i get them from wholesalers both at the same spot .. any problems and they are realy in for it :)not that i have ever had a problem with them .lost time is money . you may buy cheaper elsewhere then find your having problems . not a problem if fitting for yourself and take the gamble

mike os and sparkysy like this.
  11. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Could go old school and go back to incandescent. While most places don't sell the lamps any more there's still plenty available online.

12. mike os

No need, just buy half decent led not ebay specials

brightspark and daleyd like this.
  13. qwakers Member

If you find leds all on the same dimmer strobe, try changing just one bulb to a incandescent. It acts as a resistor and smooths the power.

The Artilleryman likes this.
  14. Kram

Kram Member

Varilights now I have all 3 fitted. They are slow to respond and sometimes to turn on. One flickered noticably or atleast when I first turned it on, much less than the BG's so I can live with it, but worth 55 quid? Hmm

These are Osram and dimmable bought from a real shop.

15. mike os

Probably wrong or incompatible dimmer then

Advertisements