Fix after burning through

1. Smokedog New Member

I am a novice and fixing a exhaust pipe. Steel prob 1mm thick and burnt a small hole. I welded over this and then let cool and welded again a few times. My question is what is the right way to try and cover a small burn through right as I dont know what I done but it seemed to work

2. Parm

Parm Temporarily operating from the Devon Annex

What is your welding process?

I’ve had the same problem, many many many times, all through my lack of experience.

My trick with MIG was to build up the edge a little then overlapping short bursts till you get to the other side of the hole

Took a few try’s

A real welder will be along soon to give you the correct answer

Smokedog likes this.
  3. Rrobson

Rrobson Member

I would guess at mig.

With non structural items the above advice (and what you've done) will be the easiest and quickest way to fill a small hole. Whatever it takes to fill it in! Of course the advice is to use techniques and settings which reduce the chance of blowing through, such as correct welder power and wire feed settings, and welding short runs and allowing to cool between runs. The fit up, condition of base material, size of wire and gas type will also influence the chance of blowing through. Ideally, you'd want nice clean steel, to use a low power, 0.6mm wire and 5% co2 argon mix. That would give you the best chance on thin steel.

Smokedog and Parm like this.
  4. Smokedog New Member

Should have said it was a cheap no gas flux core on lowest settings . Actually turned the settings up and run a thick slug over it but not sure if it was fluke that time !

5. tom2207 Member

as with any and every repair ,, get your edges first ,
    once you have a solid edge round anything and every thing you can start to repair .
    without an edge even the best welders can spend ages chasing holes , some days without an edge a mig works just like a plasma cutter

nothing wrong with your approach though.

500e and Smokedog like this.
  6. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    meh its an exhaust itll be fine . Exhausts are a pain to repair as they are thickly covered in carbon on the inside and you don't know whats happening to it , you weld along fine then the oily carbon lights up and pop! its blown out.

7. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

In this case I just do short tacks to build up the edge of the hole then run a "bead" in a circle to fill it in.

I've had too many exhausts that were more weld than original steel. :ashamed:

tom2207 likes this.
  8. tom2207 Member

me too , but back in the day an exhaust was fifty quid , it was a pita to weld up an exhaust ,,, now they are into thousands,,, I weld a bit more , and complain a lot less.

Lewis_RX8 and Wany like this.
Advertisements